Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Making cylinder sleeves/liners for engines

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Making cylinder sleeves/liners for engines

The next time someone asks you how engine cylinders are made tell them to watch this video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Altair (Jun 15, 2022), asterix (Jun 16, 2022), baja (Jun 17, 2022), johncg (Jun 17, 2022), mdhatter3 (Jun 16, 2022), nova_robotics (Jun 16, 2022), Philip Davies (Jun 19, 2022), Ralphxyz (Jun 23, 2022), Rangi (Jun 25, 2022), Resident114 (Jun 16, 2022)

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Roto molding the third world way.

Lays chips bag on the lathe at 11:30, got to keep the energy up.

Dec 2, 2021

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloJohn View Post
    Roto molding the third world way.

Lays chips bag on the lathe at 11:30, got to keep the energy up.

Dec 2, 2021
    And you would be surprised to learn just how many big name branded liners for diesel engines all around the world are made for them by those small shops

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Rangi (Jun 25, 2022)

Thanks
    And the usual PPE is in use. Employees are obviously expendable

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    You’ll notice in these videos from Pakistan,India and other countries in this part of the world, there are people both young and old who are doing their work skilfully with all there fingers, toes and eyes in place and perfectly usable. (I’m always in awe of the number of times I’ve seen feet used to hold the work piece, freeing hands to safely preform a task.)
    There lack of forced safety practices and equipment seems to be replaced with proper training and common sense.
    In the western world we have safety rules galore in the workplace forced upon us,but industrial accidents still occur because it’s impossible to fix stupidity and the more stupidity is protected the more it occurs.
    When I was young and poor I learnt a trade, and after many years of hard work I’m not young anymore.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skun Knuckles For This Useful Post:

drivermark (Jun 19, 2022), Frank S (Jun 18, 2022), Rangi (Jun 25, 2022)

Thanks
    nice metallurgy testing they do too. its' quite impressive, but...I wonder if you can request a special mix.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Skun Knuckles View Post
    You’ll notice in these videos from Pakistan,India and other countries in this part of the world, there are people both young and old who are doing their work skilfully with all there fingers, toes and eyes in place and perfectly usable. (I’m always in awe of the number of times I’ve seen feet used to hold the work piece, freeing hands to safely preform a task.)
    There lack of forced safety practices and equipment seems to be replaced with proper training and common sense.
    In the western world we have safety rules galore in the workplace forced upon us,but industrial accidents still occur because it’s impossible to fix stupidity and the more stupidity is protected the more it occurs.
    I have visited and worked in many of those so called third world and emerging countries. From what I have observed is the beginning of the downfall of the western fork force began with 3 things, first was the implementation of forced safety regulations created by persons who had never worked in any trades in their entire lives, second was the creation of child labor laws setting minimum age requirements in some areas there had not been any reason for them to be implemented. and 3rd and one of the most important the abandoning of the apprenticeship programs, much of the fault of that was since younger persons could no longer help out where they could, and learn around the shops they were not exposed to the work ethics of the older masters of the trades.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

drivermark (Jun 19, 2022), Rangi (Jun 25, 2022), rdwdman (Jun 19, 2022), Skun Knuckles (Jun 18, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I have visited and worked in many of those so called third world and emerging countries. From what I have observed is the beginning of the downfall of the western fork force began with 3 things, first was the implementation of forced safety regulations created by persons who had never worked in any trades in their entire lives, second was the creation of child labor laws setting minimum age requirements in some areas there had not been any reason for them to be implemented. and 3rd and one of the most important the abandoning of the apprenticeship programs, much of the fault of that was since younger persons could no longer help out where they could, and learn around the shops they were not exposed to the work ethics of the older masters of the trades.
    While I think some of the safety regulations in the US are silly, if there is any place for them it’s the foundry where you are working with molten metal. I have to wonder how many former employees of places like that are now reduced to begging in the street because they were blinded by hot slag when they tripped in their open toed shoes. Worker’s Comp or State Disability? I think not.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwdman View Post
    While I think some of the safety regulations in the US are silly, if there is any place for them it’s the foundry where you are working with molten metal. I have to wonder how many former employees of places like that are now reduced to begging in the street because they were blinded by hot slag when they tripped in their open toed shoes. Worker’s Comp or State Disability? I think not.
    Obviously there are some regulations put in place which have some very valid reasons for being there, although more than a few are aimed at the corporation owners to curtail their tendencies to abuse the workers which would create a whole new meaning to the term wage slave.

Thanks

hotdog0627's Tools
    even the chips are HOT!...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information