Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front alignment pedestals

Thanks
    Thanked 8,788 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Front alignment pedestals

After rebuilding the entire front end of a 2007 GMC 2500 HD. I got to thinking I already have this thing up on a rack making it easy to work on the only thing missing would be to be able to set the caster camber and toe. The way I connected the trailer ramps together was already reasonably level but if I put a pair of turn table alignment plates on top of them it would make the vehicle higher in front that the rear throwing off the caster adjustment. Not much but enough to keep me from being satisfied with the results. The solution was to build a pair of pedestals for the turn tables to sit in making the tops of the plates the same height as where the rear tires were on the rack. This way I could level the pedestals to each other as well Here is what I did
    the pedestals are made from a sheet of 1/4" plate some bits from a steel hose reel like I made the ramp stands out of Some 1-1/2" angle Iron some 1 1/4" flat bar some cut off scrap strips for bracing 1/4" thick rounds to give a solid surface to weld the legs on and some 2-3/8" oilfield tubing for the legs, all materials were upcycled except for the angle iron and the flat bar
    Front alignment pedestals-img_20230503_121242ccs.jpg
    Front alignment pedestals-img_20230507_121354ccs.jpg
    Front alignment pedestals-img_20230509_163421ccs.jpg
    Front alignment pedestals-img_20230509_173641ccs.jpg
    Front alignment pedestals-img_20230509_175648ccs.jpg
    Front alignment pedestals-img_20230511_155359ccs.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (May 16, 2023), clydeman (May 15, 2023), Home-PC (May 18, 2023), Jon (May 15, 2023), Metallurg33 (May 20, 2023), metric_taper (May 15, 2023), mr mikey (May 15, 2023), nova_robotics (May 15, 2023), Scotty1 (May 15, 2023), sossol (May 15, 2023), Toolmaker51 (May 15, 2023)

Thanks

metric_taper's Tools
    Seems like you have an endless supply of steel material. Those hose reels providing much reuse.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Seems like you have an endless supply of steel material.
    Surely does, take it from a witness. What he builds is from the inventory onsite, fortunately.
    If hauled in, Earth's rotational axis would be altered.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    Seems like you have an endless supply of steel material. Those hose reels providing much reuse.
    I only wish it was an endless supply. Right now I am trying to accumulate enough truck and Bus frames to build a 25 foot long 15-ton service lift. The rack I have put together out of the aluminum semi-trailer ramps works great but I want to be able to raise and lower whatever I am working on to be able to walk under it instead to having to get under the vehicles on my knees. The problem though is if I build it where am I going to put it. Outside seems my best option. When I don't need this rack I can stand the components up against the wall out of the way.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 16, 2023)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Surely does, take it from a witness. What he builds is from the inventory onsite, fortunately.
    If hauled in, Earth's rotational axis would be altered.
    I can't help it if I trust steel more than banks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (May 16, 2023)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I can't help it if I trust steel more than banks
    For real DIYer's that is a common thought.
    Steel for example used to be incredibly cheap, not just by an earlier standard, even more so, looking back. Stocking up on usable material is a terrific hedge at whatever cost, now that transportation has skyrocketed. For the right price, I'll drive for what's deemed useful; with decent assurance at least one (acquisition or transport costs) will not be lower. 3 trips to Cleveland, 3 to Birmingham, 5 back to CA have not become sour or 'I shoulda'. Against limited resources, careful spending pays off, when allowing the period of appreciation defray what was spent.
    Buying in anticipation works knowing price ranges of items sought; like pallet rack beams @ $3 to $6 apiece, not $15-$22, floor grating 4'x12's at $50 each, not $250+.
    Front alignment pedestals-20230327_131627%7E2.jpg

Your idea of a large lift is kind of what's been hanging in mind for me, with a little different use. I have little need to be under Class 6-7 or 8 trucks, but would sure like to park indoors.
    If such could lift high for drive off onto the dock-level building floor, and enough for passenger car storage and work (4 post lift), with heavy enough tread way for the truck when bottomed out, posts spread enough underneath stored vehicles . . . Solution awaits cutting floor down to street level and a big damn door, now 8'x12'.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; May 16, 2023 at 07:12 AM. Reason: pix = 1000 words
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    For real DIYer's that is a common thought.
    Steel for example used to be incredibly cheap, not just by an earlier standard, even more so, looking back. Stocking up on usable material is a terrific hedge at whatever cost, now that transportation has skyrocketed. For the right price, I'll drive for what's deemed useful; with decent assurance at least one (acquisition or transport costs) will not be lower. 3 trips to Cleveland, 3 to Birmingham, 5 back to CA have not become sour or 'I shoulda'. Against limited resources, careful spending pays off, when allowing the period of appreciation defray what was spent.
    Buying in anticipation works knowing price ranges of items sought; like pallet rack beams @ $3 to $6 apiece, not $15-$22, floor grating 4'x12's at $50 each, not $250+.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230327_131627~2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	45453

Your idea of a large lift is kind of what's been hanging in mind for me, with a little different use. I have little need to be under Class 6-7 or 8 trucks, but would sure like to park indoors.
    If such could lift high for drive off onto the dock-level building floor, and enough for passenger car storage and work (4 post lift), with heavy enough tread way for the truck when bottomed out, posts spread enough underneath stored vehicles . . . Solution awaits cutting floor down to street level and a big damn door, now 8'x12'.
    As you may know for nearly 25 years I was in the business of designing and building multiple parking storage and freight type elevator lifts when you get ready for yours let me know and I will lend some information.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 16, 2023)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Yup, SO aware.
    Despite being not quite famous as certain other customers...

Meanwhile, I've measured ceiling heights, and now have a better way to gauge floor versus street grade. My x-ray vision ain't what it was.
    Building is flat and level, but a little pitch in floor east to west. Not much if any wiring needs run above that area, plus added (aka snagged) supply of shallow open wire tray for wireway ducting on hand. so, it's 15'8'' headroom before opening up floor.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Yup, SO aware.
    Despite being not quite famous as certain other customers...

Meanwhile, I've measured ceiling heights, and now have a better way to gauge floor versus street grade. My x-ray vision ain't what it was.
    Building is flat and level, but a little pitch in floor east to west. Not much if any wiring needs run above that area, plus added (aka snagged) supply of shallow open wire tray for wireway ducting on hand. so, it's 15'8'' headroom before opening up floor.
    Just about everything, build for my shop winds up being multi purposed, Since you will have 15+ feet of ceiling height and if you decide you want a storage lift to park a vehicle on it will almost certainly need to be a service lift and not a solid platform. Until you have had a means to get under one of your vehicles you can not imagine how handy they are for lots of things.
    When Ed saw the pedestals the first thing, he said was they looked like circus stools for elephants to stand on. Ther certainly would be strong enough. LOL. so I might stencil Barnum and Baily on them. Maybe when I am not using them for alignments or working on vehicles I might place a couple of 6x6 blocks on them and put my chop saw or 12" Pro shop miter saw on them to cut the aluminum planking for the lifts we are making.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 17, 2023)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    The mental image of the lift is railed, not a 'deck'. The other vision to gain access is a ramp, also of rails. Two ''doors''; one an insulated roll-up, the lower hinged & inclined, essentially like a landing craft. The threshold would avert crash-in attempts and flooding.

BTW, texted a potential scrap material source.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thread Information