Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Garbage truck hydraulic line fire - GIF

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 7, 2021), jimfols (Feb 6, 2021), mwmkravchenko (Feb 6, 2021), NortonDommi (Feb 6, 2021), Rangi (Feb 7, 2021), rlm98253 (Feb 6, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    No joke that! I spent a few years maintaining a fleet of rubbish trucks and some of the designs were outright stupid. A fire would result in a few tons of burning garbage being dumped on the road and a MASSIVE cleanup.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I'll bet the driver was glad he was standing and the door was open......

Thanks
    Betcha he carries a spare pair of jocks after that!!!

A worksafe investigation job I assume!!!

Supporting Member Skun Knuckles's Avatar
    Thanks

Skun Knuckles's Tools
    What a coincidence that the truck was being filmed when this happened...

Thanks
    The guy standing isn't the driver that design appears to retain the job of the guy dumping the cans but he gets to ride in the cab rather than on the back.

When our city went to the big cans, and 1 day a week trash service they also made the driver operate the lift.

Thanks

jdurand's Tools
    Our drives now trash our wheelie bins, crack the sides and rip the lids off. Before the current group of drivers, our bins lasted a decade with no damage.

They just sent all of us a message saying to keep the bins closed so they don't get rain water in them, especially the recycling bin as wet paper isn't easy to sort. Yeah, well, if you'd give me a bin with a steel lid...maybe. I just drilled holes in the bottoms so they wouldn't get so heavy they can't be moved.

Other than that, I think that dumping guy shares responsibility for popping that line. Jerking the forks can't be good for the pressure levels in the system. Here they don't jerk them on the way up, but at the top often jiggle the control stick to shake the bins violently (hence missing lids and major cracks).

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Unkle Fuzzy View Post
    The guy standing isn't the driver that design appears to retain the job of the guy dumping the cans but he gets to ride in the cab rather than on the back.

When our city went to the big cans, and 1 day a week trash service they also made the driver operate the lift.
    Look again. If this is one of those weird drive on the right countries you can see the standard steering wheel on the left. Only one person in the cab.
    Where I live we drive on the correct side of the road but the rubbish trucks have dual steering so that the operator can have a clear view of what they are doing plus if needed egress from the vehicle straight onto the footpath.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    Our drives now trash our wheelie bins, crack the sides and rip the lids off. Before the current group of drivers, our bins lasted a decade with no damage.

They just sent all of us a message saying to keep the bins closed so they don't get rain water in them, especially the recycling bin as wet paper isn't easy to sort. Yeah, well, if you'd give me a bin with a steel lid...maybe. I just drilled holes in the bottoms so they wouldn't get so heavy they can't be moved.

Other than that, I think that dumping guy shares responsibility for popping that line. Jerking the forks can't be good for the pressure levels in the system. Here they don't jerk them on the way up, but at the top often jiggle the control stick to shake the bins violently (hence missing lids and major cracks).
    Depends on the company but most drivers(?) are owner operators usually with zero experience of machinery before buying a truck and a round. The company usually owns the compactor etc. Some of them look after their gear some don't. I and two other guys in particular busted our arses for over five years to implement a maintenance schedule, get trucks cleaned and serviced regularly etc. This was in one of the biggest US based international waste companies.
    Most of the controls today are electro-hydraulic and are fully programmable. Nothing wrong with how the machine is being operated here, these guys are on a deadline with penalties for missed bins or late pickups.
    After another company takeover that bought with it a genius, a whiz , the best accountant and business manager ever he decided that as there had been no breakdowns for a couple of years mechanics were not necessary so we were made redundant.
    The company lost 60% of its major contracts within 8-9 months due to all the breakdowns.
    All I can say is wasted management and Kama is a bitch.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by NortonDommi; Feb 13, 2021 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Correct bad grammer.

Thread Information