Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gas cylinder launches like rocket in junkyard - GIF

Thanks
    Anyone who trusts those seals without inspecting before each use, gets what they deserve. Let Darwin sort em out.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    blue rino says they inspect and rebuild as well as pressure check & leek check every tank...what a pile of **** that is.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Beserkleyboy's Tools
    Well spotted! Bet he's worse for wear...

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Dad was a volunteer fireman in a rural area where we lived when I was really young. There was a house fire that wasn't too far from our house. We could see the glow in the sky from it from home. Dad said when he got there that the house had two of those upright propane tanks sitting next to the house. He said as they were fighting the fire they both "vented" and took off like missiles straight-up in the air. They went straight up and at some altitude exploded like a hydrogen bomb. It was a very loud explosion and a huge fireball.

Thanks

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    I turned out to a rollover a few years ago, where there was 6 G size oxy cylinders "hissing". The valves had cracked, but not sheared off. I stood them up so any forces were pointing down, and laid safe cylinders around them so they couldn't tip over towards the road, but instead fall over so the tops were facing the road (projecting away from the scene/ us, casualties)
    None of the cylinders let go, but did hiss continuously for the 30mins or so I was on-scene.
    FWIW, the cause of the incident was a 8x5 caged trailer behind a 4WD work truck, the drawbar of the trailer broke away from the body (doing 80 kph (50mph) and the rest of the trailer rolled and the load came out the top of the cage - the load was all cylinders of industrial gases (oxy, acet, LPG (propane), and maybe an argon or two)

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information