Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Gasoline welding gun - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,855 Times in 11,342 Posts

Gasoline welding gun - video

Gasoline welding gun. By Muzi Workshop. 6:58 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (Mar 15, 2023), fergiomaria (Mar 20, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Mar 15, 2023), nova_robotics (Mar 15, 2023), rlm98253 (Mar 15, 2023), Scotty1 (Mar 16, 2023)

Thanks
    Nice job , but worthless with out plans!

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

bigal001's Tools
    ??? is this a magic lance???? what is this...what I see is a power supply/regulator to an air?? pump, bubbling thru' 2 solutions ( what are they?) and a mocked-up lance from a Vent-flo.....??? cumbustible gas...???

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    A classic example of a video alone can be a poor representation of how to build something. ther is not even a single subtitle insert in the video explaining what is being performed or the componentry required. However, there is only one unknown in the entire video. You have a mounting surface a battery pack for the energy source an off the shelf DC converter for varying the voltage output. a small air pump some plastic tubing a couple of drink bottles and a venturi torch that draws outside air to increase the intensity of the flame. connect the batteries to the converter with a switch to disconnect plug the output of the air pump into the first bottle pushing the tubing to the bottom to create the bubbling of the volatile liquid, "in this instance most likely gasoline" the vapors created by the bubbling are carried via a tube into the bottom of the second bottle which is in all probability filled with water Since water serves as a flashback preventive measure. the blue substance is the only unknown but in this case I suspect it is nothing more than blue food coloring for visual effect. the pressure created by the air pump forces the vapors out through tube connected to the hose, the torch could be one of those found on the plastic butane torches like those used to light crack pipes or like I use to heat shrink tubing when making electrical connections. And now you have one person's opinion of how this seemingly 8th grade science class experiment could be made.
    I much prefer the way Rick Sparger does his tool build explanations over a video any day
    Last edited by Frank S; Mar 16, 2023 at 07:24 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

piper184 (Mar 16, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    I think it is just a variable voltage power supply. It is driving a small air pump. The air bubbles through gasoline in the first container. Then the air mixture bubbles through the blue water. Then onto the torch. These guys are just looking for clicks, they do not really care about sharing any information.

(Oops did not see Frank's explaination.)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 16, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools
    I agree with your interpretation. A bit down in the comments it says...

1. 775 dc motor with air pump attachment (12v, upto 2amp)
    2. Variable speed controller with potentiometer for 12v motor
    3. Syringe needle (smallest possible needle gauge)
    4. Jet flame lighter nozzle
    5. Plastic tubes
    6. Plastic bottles
    7. Gasoline
    8. Water (for indication)
    9. Li-ion batteries (3.7v)
    10. Battery box for Li-ion batteries
    11. IV set (as per requirement)
    The Syringe and IV set are hacked up to make the needle to inject the fuel air mixture into the torch head from the Jet flame lighter. I can't easily get an IV set, but Tractor Supply has syringes and needles for cattle and that wouldn't be a hard hack.

A "775 motor" is a permanent magnet DC motor, a common size that's about 4" from tip to tail. I don't see a 775 air pump on ebay though, just a bunch of 370 aquarium pumps. I don't know if those would have the required oompf.

If this is your sort of thing, the nighthawkinlight YT channel just posted a video of a medical oxygen concentrator being (ab) used as a teeny-tiny oxygen lance.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Elizabeth Greene View Post
    I agree with your interpretation. A bit down in the comments it says...

The Syringe and IV set are hacked up to make the needle to inject the fuel air mixture into the torch head from the Jet flame lighter. I can't easily get an IV set, but Tractor Supply has syringes and needles for cattle and that wouldn't be a hard hack.
    IV tubing really isn't the best thing to use with this. Gasoline vapor will eventually dissolve the plasticizer, causing the tubing to get very stiff and potentially crack open. Polyurethane fuel line doesn't have this problem, is a similar size, and works well as a replacement for fuel lines on small engines. Most TSC stores should have a few sizes of it in stock.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information