Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Giant cable stripper - GIF

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Apr 4, 2021), Javierhm (Apr 4, 2021), jimfols (Apr 4, 2021), marksbug (Apr 3, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 7, 2021)

Thanks
    oh rats. rong kind of stripper but his does a good job none the less.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Can any one of the brilliant folk who haunt this site explain the segmented insulation/copper wrap? Increased flexibility? Nodal transmission? Shoddy worksmanship?

Frank S., surely you've encountered this in your extraordinarily diverse worklife!

Thanks

desbromilow's Tools
    probably wasn't segmented, but rather a foil tape wrapped around the core in order to provide some mechanical protection, PLUS reduce interference from the lines. If the cable was used in an application with a VSD, the harmonics can cause chaos in other equipment, and even induce currents in cable near them, shielding helps reduce that.
    I have some opened cables from a 33kV job I was involved in which have brass foil (shim tape) wrapped around the cable bundle, but it makes sense some manufacturers would use copper foil for similar purposes.
    since the cores twist around each other in the axial length of the cable, the cutting knives will sometimes cut the wrapped foil, and other times not, hence why you can see the copper foil segmented in some parts of the video, and not in others.
    The steel wrap further out is armouring, here we tend to use steel wires (technically galvanised steel) - that is for mechnical protection, and stops termites burrowing through the cable to get to the cores (they are attracted to the electric fields of the cables) if the cables are buried.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel82 View Post
    Can any one of the brilliant folk who haunt this site explain the segmented insulation/copper wrap? Increased flexibility? Nodal transmission? Shoddy worksmanship?

Frank S., surely you've encountered this in your extraordinarily diverse worklife!
    desbromilow is correct. that cable would be considered a non-bury cable in Kuwait used only to carry power from one switchgear to another inside or from floor to floor of buildings, the Armored cable he described with the galvanized steel wires either wound or braided around the bundle of conductors is also incorporated as a secondary earth conductor
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thank you, gentlemen; I stand elucidated!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information