Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Giant pipeline smart pig - photo

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Dec 30, 2019), MeJasonT (Jan 8, 2020), Rangi (Aug 1, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,803 Times in 4,216 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I remember when paraffin scrubbing pigs were little more than huge rubber balls with bristles embedded in them propelled solely by the flow and pressure of what ever substance was being pumped through the pipeline. they would travel from riser loop to riser loop and be trapped by partially closed valves then retrieved from the bypass section
    This monster would have to be inserted torpedo tube style and retrieved in the same way at the other end with the flow making a turn

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Dec 30, 2019), MeJasonT (Jan 8, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jan 8, 2020)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    It looks to be a 24" perhaps 36" inch old style pig, the new ones carry alot more electronic and are far more compact.
    I worked on a project in India 10 years ago where we connected a vertical riser style of thing to the subsea pipline swan neck manifold. the pig was in the riser section and collected in a similar styled tool at the other end. All connected and disconected with ROV intervention - of course.
    Early in my career we were working on a manifold choke change out in Egypt (just off Alexandria). The instructions were all sent via fax, I know right, what the hell.
    being Egypt and Friday being there version of a Sabbath day. We went and sat by the pipeline with an ROV waiting for a pig to be sent through. They only forgot to send the bloody thing and we couldnt report to their office fax until Sunday as they had locked up and gone home. Its great being in the oil industry on a 3 day pleasure cruise on day rate.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Jan 8, 2020 at 12:40 PM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 8, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by MeJasonT View Post
    It looks to be a 24" perhaps 36" inch old style pig, the new ones carry alot more electronic and are far more compact.
    I worked on a project in India 10 years ago where we connected a vertical riser style of thing to the subsea pipline swan neck manifold. the pig was in the riser section and collected in a similar styled tool at the other end. All connected and disconected with ROV intervention - of course.
    Early in my career we were working on a manifold choke change out in Egypt (just off Alexandria). The instructions were all sent via fax, I know right, what the hell.
    being Egypt and Friday being there version of a Sabbath day. We went and sat by the pipeline with an ROV waiting for a pig to be sent through. They only forgot to send the bloody thing and we couldnt report to their office fax until Sunday as they had locked up and gone home. Its great being in the oil industry on a 3 day pleasure cruise on day rate.
    MeJasonT don't you recall the old saying in the patch? everyday is a holiday unless the bit is stuck down hole

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I did here that a few times Frank when we were sub sontracting to American drilling companies.
    I always thought the Party Cheifs did a rubbish job, I can never remember a good piss up.
    But pleasure cruises a many, The Med, Africa, Pursian Gulf - a lot in Holland, cant remember many due to being inebriated but many good days working out of Holland.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    we connected a vertical riser style of thing
    I remember now they were called Pig launchers and receivers - stupid boy.

Ps i have changed my signature to reflect the UKs current position on Brexit.
    also it has a certain similarity the to an area in which i worked -
    now was it the democratic republic of Congo or the democratic peoples republic of Congo
    perhaps Scotland should call itself The Scotish republic of the UK
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Jan 8, 2020 at 01:21 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    MeJasonT don't you recall the old saying in the patch? everyday is a holiday unless the bit is stuck down hole
    Some things are different, indoors.
    The patch is just a greasy floor and filthy walls.
    Non routine Holidays are seen differently. As when they spend weeks planning long weekend outings Fri-Mon and we are locked out; unpaid.
    You find out a week before, Thursday they ask jovially "Got any big plans?".
    Worse yet, on Tuesday everyone is back, but half are sunburned. It's topped off with an animated "How was your weekend". Last one "Didja see all our deer?"

Nope. I did not see a single tube of deer sausage with my name on it either...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jan 8, 2020)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Some things are different, indoors.
    The patch is just a greasy floor and filthy walls.
    Non routine Holidays are seen differently. As when they spend weeks planning long weekend outings Fri-Mon and we are locked out; unpaid.
    You find out a week before, Thursday they ask jovially "Got any big plans?".
    Worse yet, on Tuesday everyone is back, but half are sunburned. It's topped off with an animated "How was your weekend". Last one "Didja see all our deer?"

Nope. I did not see a single tube of deer sausage with my name on it either...
    Yep I would simply say to someone bragging about the deer they had killed over the weekend. I don't' want to hear a single detail about your hunt unless there is a hind quarter and a slab of back strap placed in my freezer and if it was a trophy kill then I want half a deer because you just want the mount anyway. That usually shuts them up

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jan 9, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Yep I would simply say to someone bragging about the deer they had killed over the weekend. I don't' want to hear a single detail about your hunt unless there is a hind quarter and a slab of back strap placed in my freezer and if it was a trophy kill then I want half a deer because you just want the mount anyway. That usually shuts them up
    Not them. Other employee and I call them the Odd Squad. Three Stooges be mislabeling; Larry, Moe, and Curly were fun to watch.
    Same triple-clowns think weldment is a three syllable word; weldement.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Jan 9, 2020)

Thread Information