Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Gifted radial arm saw

Thanks

Gifted radial arm saw

When my grandfather passed away, I was gifted his old (but in excellent condition) Craftsman 10in radial arm saw. I am excited to start using it and learning woodworking and the versatility of a radial arm saw. I am a new physician and it's imperative that my career doesn't end prematurely due to a woodworking accident. Therefor, I am currently researching the dangers of a RAS and ways to optimize safety with this piece of equipment.

2,000+ Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 6,437 Times in 2,131 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Two remarks on wood saw safety...

Never attempt to watch TV while using a RAS (or any other power tool for that matter). One of my stupider co-workers had three short fingers on his left hand from attempting to watch football while using a RAS.

If it's possible for people to enter your work area without you seeing or hearing them, and thus potentially startling you, arrange some sort of automatic door chime, etc., that will alert you to their entrance.

I'm terrified of both radial arm saws and conventional table saws. (Terror is a good thing, IMO.) From my limited personal experience the safest arrangement seems to be a table saw fitted with a sled to carry the workpiece. It doesn't work for every type of cut but it makes a lot of jobs safer.

2,000+ Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information