Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod

Thanks
    Thanked 2,044 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools

Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod

I have two old Vivitar tripods from way back in time. Built heavy and quite sturdy.
    I was using one with the original "x, y, z" head but found it not the best use of the base tripod.
    A few years ago I replaced one of the originals with a custom "wood" base that mounts a ball head.
    The ball head is quite versatile but for panning and vertical tilt at the same time it was not the best.

When I saw the gimbal mounts it became obvious that would be very good for tracking birds etc.
    However the pricing of from $200 to $700 was quite a bit more than I was willing to spend.

Simple Lathe and Mill project from aluminum and brass and a little steel.
    The fun part was the 1 1/4 x 24 thread on the Vivitar pillar. It came out fine and secures the new gimbal mount.
    Knobs are from Rockler. (had some left over from woodworking jigs that I made)

This gimbal mount is smaller than the commercial ones. I had one large lens that I wanted to use it with so I scaled down the commercial sizes to one that would just fit my lens and camera. It balances great at any zoon length.

The camera shoe mount and plate are from the "bay" and were not very expensive. I would guess I have about $40 in the entire affair.

Now I have my choice of standard, ball head or gimbal...Guess which one is on the tripod now!

Cheers, JR
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod-dscf0001a.jpg   Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod-dscf0002d.jpg   Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod-dscf0003a.jpg   Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod-dscf0003b.jpg   Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod-dscf0003c.jpg  

Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod-dscf0006d.jpg   Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod-dscf0008d.jpg   Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod-dscf0009d.jpg   Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod-dscf0011d.jpg   Gimbal Tripod Head Photographic or Small Astro Telescope Vivitar Tripod-dscf0012d.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Harvey Melvin Richards (Dec 23, 2017), Jon (Jun 17, 2016), Paul Jones (Jun 20, 2016), thoms_here (Nov 8, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks jjr2001! We've added your Gimbal Tripod Head to our Photography and Videography category,
    as well as to your builder page: jjr2001's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information