Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A grinder from the days when Men were Men

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools

A grinder from the days when Men were Men

and flat belts ran the shop. I changed out the flat belt sheave to a V belt pulley. Because really now, the days of flat belting are behind me. But it is still a pretty spooky bit of kit, if you listen to some safety Sallys on the Internet. Skip it, I use it, and I'm still here. The little grinding wheel is just there as a spacer. I've never actually used it. But the 12" wheel on the right I do use. This monster has a 3/4" diameter shaft. None of that sissy half inch stuff. I kind of stole the Tormek tool rest system for it due to how the casting is.

I built this grinder the way it is to fit where it is. Because I am kind of pressed for space in my shop anymore. This was the least amount of room I could think to make this machine take up. So now I make things to fit the spaces I have.

The first picture is me block mocking it up. Getting a feel for the geometry of where things were going to be. In the next picture the front of the grinder and tool rest are still not done. Then there is a wider shot of the grinder in that state. In the final shot it is completed.

A grinder from the days when Men were Men-001_blockmock.jpgA grinder from the days when Men were Men-002_3-4_half.jpgA grinder from the days when Men were Men-003_3-4_half.jpgA grinder from the days when Men were Men-004_3-4_completed.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by pfredX1; Oct 19, 2016 at 09:52 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pfredX1 For This Useful Post:

bigtrev8xl (Oct 27, 2016), Frank S (Oct 19, 2016), Jon (Oct 20, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Judging from the shear number of grinders I can see in your pictures I suspect that you must be a knife maker

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Judging from the shear number of grinders I can see in your pictures I suspect that you must be a knife maker
    I don't make knives. I have sharpened a couple knives on some of my grinders though. At least roughed them out. The main thing I grind on the grinder in this post is lawnmower blades.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks pfredX1! We've added your Grinder Refurbishing to our Sharpening category,
    as well as to your builder page: pfredX1's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Banned
    Supporting Member

Thanks
    What a load of bull. "When men were men." So in order to be a "man" one must loose at least one finger in a machine tool. BS. When I went to the US Navy's Machinery Repairman School in 1973 there was a sign hanging from the ceiling. In great big red letters were the letters SAS in a vertical format. The words were completed in smaller red letters so it spelled out Safety, Accuracy, Speed. Those were the priorities not only at the school, but also out in the fleet. An injured man is not able to fully complete his tasks, or even worse winds up dead.

Your attitude is what makes intelligent people turn around, walk away and just shake their head knowing there is no way to get through your thick head.

A "man's man". Yeah right I have some water front property for sale in NW Nebraska cheap! How much do you want???????

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Stan For This Useful Post:

extropic (Oct 26, 2016)

Thanks
    I think the guy was being facetious, in other words he was sort of kidding. But you get points for being politically correct!

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    Safety is job three Stan. Git 'er done is job #1.

Banned
    Thanks
    The following comments are directed at anyone who isn't repulsed by the blatant disregard for fundamental safety represented in the images posted by pfredX1.

Please do not do as pfredX1 has done. Please educate yourself in the proper setup of bench grinder/wire wheel/buffer equipment.

To DIYer: I'm very disappointed that you passed along this grotesque violation of basic shop safety.

Thanks

Imabass's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by pfredX1 View Post
    The main thing I grind on the grinder in this post is lawnmower blades.
    Seems overkill to me. I have found that the sanding discs on a 4.5" hand grinder does and amazing job for blades.

Don't worry. No lecture from me about your safety.
    Why buy it if you can build it.

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    Ok Lets See if you have all your fingers???? post it up now.

Thread Information