Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Guitar building tools - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,792 Times in 11,326 Posts

Guitar building tools - video

Guitar building tools. By Highline Guitars. 9:42 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

freddo4 (Dec 17, 2021), johncg (Dec 18, 2021), marksbug (Dec 30, 2021), metalsmith1952 (Dec 17, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

wizard69's Tools
    I have to admire the patients and skill Luthiers have. Hand sanding all of those frets has to be incredibly tedious. In any event some great and simple IDY tools. Sometimes the simple things save you the most work.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wizard69 For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Dec 30, 2021)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
    I have to admire the patients and skill Luthiers have. Hand sanding all of those frets has to be incredibly tedious. In any event some great and simple IDY tools. Sometimes the simple things save you the most work.
    It is a very long and tedious process, but some weirdos such as myself enjoy it. It's physically taxing, but mentally relaxing.

I collect basses, and I seek out ones that need refurbishment. They tend to cost less, but mostly it's so that I can clean and polish them.

Neil

Neil

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Dec 30, 2021)

Thanks
    Ive got a quite old dobro that the neck has pulled away from the body, someday i may tackle it...or not, I got it for my daughter 15 years ago...or more. used of coarse.I think it was in a shop window for long time in the alabama/florida sun. it will never look like new, but it sure wood bee nice if it were playable. I dient notice it was seperating when I bought it....someday before I did It wood be nice to learn to play a little...just a little. or perhaps the now 27 year old daughter may want to play some more,pickelow,flute are her specialties, but she seems to be able to play anything she picks up.( she got football scholarship from UGA so she could be in the band and not a music major.) all these somedays are gonna catch up to me someday....

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by marksbug View Post
    Ive got a quite old dobro that the neck has pulled away from the body, someday i may tackle it...or not, I got it for my daughter 15 years ago...or more. used of coarse.I think it was in a shop window for long time in the alabama/florida sun. it will never look like new, but it sure wood bee nice if it were playable. I dient notice it was seperating when I bought it....someday before I did It wood be nice to learn to play a little...just a little. or perhaps the now 27 year old daughter may want to play some more,pickelow,flute are her specialties, but she seems to be able to play anything she picks up.( she got football scholarship from UGA so she could be in the band and not a music major.) all these somedays are gonna catch up to me someday....
    I bought a Kay acoustic that had a neck separation mostly to get the Seymour Duncan humbucker that had been clumsily installed, but also to have a go at removing and reinstalling the neck. I was more interested in learning than in results, and it shows. It's a solid repair, but very ugly. I only paid $20, and the pickup & wiring are worth that, so I didn't car.
    I then bought an eary-70s Horugel (Samick) 12-string acoustic that has a much less severe neck separation with plans to repair it. 9 months later I still can't bring myself to touch it. It's too rare and collectible for the sort of hamfisted repair I'd make. I'll stick to solidbody guitars, and leave the acoustics for the experts.

Neil

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Dec 30, 2021)

Thanks
    thus the reason I have not tried to fix it. you must be as smart as I am. If I were stupid I wooda already effed it up.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information