Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hand operated rivet snap tool.

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Hand operated rivet snap tool.

Hi All

When building my first traction engine a 1” scale Minnie Traction Engine some 34 years ago. I decided to make a hand operated rivet snap tool, as there was 300+ 1/16” diameter rivets on the engine.

I have made the tool so the snaps can be replaced so different diameters of rivets can be used. The snaps are made from steel and I felt didn’t need hardening as the rivets I was using were made of copper.

To form the dome in the snaps, I measured the rivet head and ground a twist drill of the same diameter with a full radius to form the cup to accept the head of the rivet and form the other end.

The rivet sits slightly up from the snap so when closed the snap doesn’t bruise the material face.

The tool is also adjustable to suit different sections of material with a threaded snap. The rivets are trimmed to give one and half diameter of the shank protruding through the material to form the rivet head. This is not only a time saving tool but also closes the rivets to give a nice domed head both sides.

I always try and put the formed head so it will be seen from the outside but this is not always possible as with the wheels on the engine.

I cannot claim this as my own design as it was serialised in The Model Engineer some 35 plus years ago but it was well worth building and works well.

Hand operated rivet snap tool.-img_1710.jpg Hand operated rivet snap

Hand operated rivet snap tool.-img_1712.jpg Hand operated rivet snap tool.-img_1711.jpg snaps and ground drills

Hand operated rivet snap tool.-img_1713.jpg Hand operated rivet snap tool.-img_1714.jpg snaps

Sample of some of the components made with rivets.
    Hand operated rivet snap tool.-img_1708.jpg Rear wheels Hand operated rivet snap tool.-img_1707.jpg Front wheels
    Hand operated rivet snap tool.-img_1706.jpg Smokebox Hand operated rivet snap tool.-img_1709.jpg Chimney

Thank you for viewing and any questions please ask.
    The Home Engineer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hand operated rivet snap tool.-img_1708.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 1, 2020), Jon (Apr 30, 2018), LMMasterMariner (May 1, 2018), olderdan (Apr 29, 2018), Paul Jones (Apr 28, 2018), PJs (May 2, 2018), rossbotics (Apr 29, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (Jul 3, 2020), Seedtick (Apr 30, 2018), Tonyg (Jul 1, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,540 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Well that certainly makes a neat job and will give a consistent result. I still have two boxes of Model Engineer from the sixties onwards and it was my favorite magazine. I have also bought 164 issues of Model Engineers Workshop on CD for £8.00, the wealth of ideas in there makes it a real bargain.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by olderdan View Post
    Well that certainly makes a neat job and will give a consistent result. I still have two boxes of Model Engineer from the sixties onwards and it was my favorite magazine. I have also bought 164 issues of Model Engineers Workshop on CD for £8.00, the wealth of ideas in there makes it a real bargain.
    I totally agree. When I first started I enjoyed getting both the Model Engineer and Engineering in Miniature magazines and collecting the older issues of Model Engineer. Unfortunately, the old timers who use to write articles (which we would now call post) are no longer with us and without their input and the lack of interest in the hobby from up and coming talent these magazines in my opinion did not carry the same quality of articles. With the introduction of the internet and forums like this, have replaced and left the magazines behind.

Thanks
    I'm sure this design could be modified for a punch press

6. The Following User Says Thank You to greasedthrowoutbearing For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (May 1, 2018)

Thanks
    Home engineer
    Beautiful work and a very fine job on rivets and the wheel are gorgeous.
    Thank you
    Nelson

Older Dan
    Is that CD still available?
    Nelson

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (May 1, 2018)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greasedthrowoutbearing View Post
    I'm sure this design could be modified for a punch press
    Great idea. Had not even thought about doing that but you are so right. After your comment, my mind has been racing. With the right jaw setup it could make a very useful joggle tool for sheet metal seams. Great observation and thank you for sewing the seed.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,540 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Hi Nelson. yes it is still available in PDF format from https://www.key-software.net/product/model-engineer/ the download is even cheaper but is just under 7GB
    Regards
    Olderdan

11. The Following User Says Thank You to olderdan For This Useful Post:

PJs (May 2, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Rivet Snap Tool to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information