Nothing in the world is more aggravating when you have something to move but you must transport it across your lawn or worse in your corral or feed lot where the ground is to soft to support the tiny little 4.00x4 pheumatic tires on your hand truck or your hand truck is just THAT MUCH too small for the task at hand. In my case I usually fire up my 18,000 lb backhoe to get the job done but it is big and clumsy Plus depending on what it is you need to move. I may have to get off the machine and back on a couple of times just to move a 200 lb object.
This brought me to decide that what I really needed was a larger hand truck with the capability to traverse soft soil with a load. I also wanted it large enough to carry just about anything that I could physically move unassisted. While constructing the stipid thing the thought occurred to me that I also sometimes needed to be able to lift and transport an object that was too heavy for me to load in the back of my Ingersol Rand gas powered carryall club car, so why not also make the hand truck a little more versatile by adding a fold down trailer tongue. This way I could maneuver the foot of the hand truck under the object then break it over as if I were going to move it by hand but at the same time fold the tongue out and connect it to my carry all
Now the hand truck had become not only a means of lifting and transporting an object but one that could be pulled like a trailer I now could ride in comfort without having to strain to drag the hand truck possibly a few thousand feet.
Here is what I cam up with
first off I found 2 of the ubiquitous compact spare tires that it seems only I want to collect every one that I find. I cut 2 pieces of 2 3/8" heavy wall oil field tubing for the hubs then gave them a light clean out bore on each end for the bearings then simply welded the hubs into the wheels
I located a piece of 1" hot rolled round bar for the axle and as per my usual scrounging I also had 2 pieces of 3/4" sch 80 pipe bought in an auction along with a few tons of other stuff and a small sheet of AR 400 for the foot plate, left over from a previous job This was to become the basis of my hand truck trailer for the fenders since I didn't want to hack up my only large sheet of 11Ga I decided to use a couple short pieces of scrap 4x4x.11ga sq tubing then split it ahd re form it on a chunk of railroad iron that I refuse to cut up into the shape of an anvil