Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hands

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Hands

I used soap and water, honestly darling, twice!

Hands-img_0400.jpg Hands-img_0399.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hands-img_0398.jpg   Hands-img_0392.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Jun 12, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Jan 27, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,795 Times in 4,212 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I painted ny 500 gal propane tank today with KBS Rust Seal and KBS Top coat
    Trust me if Xylene acetone and gasoline with a brass wire brush won't take it off then it just has to wear off
    I rarely ever wear gloves I can stretch a pair of X large Wells Lamont drivers gloves and rip the seams out before I get to the check out counter Other brands fair better but all have too restrictive thumb movement to suit me.
    In my younger years I often broke the reins off of a pair of Channel-lock 420 or 430 pliers just because what I was trying to turn wouldn't move and the pliers wouldn't slip
    Hands-20170126_214824a.jpg Hands-20170126_214834a.jpg Hands-20170126_214845a.jpg Hands-20170126_214851c.jpg Hands-20170126_222030a.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 26, 2017 at 09:36 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Jun 12, 2017), Toolmaker51 (Jan 27, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    10" ! No kidding!
    A female comedian had a favorite line of mine. She was, kindly put, a BBW, and generally outrageous. Addressing a guy in the front of a dinner show...
    "You have big feet and hands. Your expression says you're thinking 'I could handle her...'. You know what they say about a man with with big feet and hands?
    He's a clown."
    Just kidding friends.
    Any pictures of hands always remind me of a very specific movie scene, one admired since the instant I saw it. Probably a third of my disposition, and half my attitude found their keystone that moment.
    "...tie me a sheepshank, Mr. Hooper...
    add www. and paste the link. youtube.com/watch?v=fO2-LrnybZk.

Hats off to Philip D. and Frank S.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Jun 12, 2017)

Supporting Member LMMasterMariner's Avatar
    Thanks

LMMasterMariner's Tools
    Hi,
    All my life I was working barehanded, as I couldn't do anything when wearing gloves. Even with dirty works such as painting, I used to soak my hands in olive oil before painting and it was easy to remove paint afterwards. Recently (month ago) discovered nitrile gloves and must say that I am quite comfortable to use them in the workshop. My hands are clean all the time and that makes my wife happy. Me too. 2 pictures only.
    Regards
    LMMM
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hands-nitrile-gloves.jpg   Hands-10-fingers-no-spares-stock-safety-sign.jpg  

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Vegetable oils work great, but not what we call 'shortening' [like lard], unless VERY sparingly, it's slippery.
    Rubbing in a bit of veg oil is huge time saver. Start in palms, scraping it under nails.
    Printers use one, good stuff, unfortunately named Putz. Inks and stains are far more difficult by nature, both red Dykem and Prussian Blue are a lot of fun...
    LMMasterMariner is right, nitrile's are good and sturdy, vinyl's decent - a bit less expensive. Sanitary gloves way more expensive, and completely unneeded.

Certain times, dirty rough hands and stains under nails won't improve your social standing; other times it will. Your choice.
    "...tie me a sheep-shank, Mr. Hooper.." with the the proper Nor'easter inflection.

One quote, always causes drawing a contemplative breath.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    You didn't say how small you wanted it. which in my case would have been a good thing

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jun 12, 2017)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    I used soap and water, honestly darling, twice!
    Then, how many times have we heard...

[She] I can see that, it's on the towel.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

All2skitzd's Tools
    S**t, that's my special move right there. I just turned my **** bright ass yellow looked like smokers stained fingers times a million with. I was changing out all the tank hardware on a s**tter and had some Habor Frieght Gloves on, so when they got wet all the dye was coming off on my hands and I tried scrubbing them with the blue dish soap, then I got the fingernail brush out on them, then got a wire brush and that helped a lot. To get it off my fingernails I tried that and I tried acetone and it didnt help. I think the die soaked in. It even turned a scab yellow and today I had to do some mystery shopping and meet some people for my resale gig
    This is after 20 minutes washing, acetone, wire brush, and doing dishes. Note the scab that is yellow
    Hands-20170620_023935.jpg
    Hands-20170620_024010.jpg
    Hands-20170620_024024.jpg
    The worst I ever messed up was that great stuff spray expanding foam on the hands, that was hard to get off and lasted a long time but at least I worked construction as a fire alarm install tech at the time.

Then when I worked dilivering pizza I used to have to use a wire brush to clean them good around fingernails and in fingerprints because i would be painting before work or id be working on my car like a nascar pitstop when I needed to leave to work soon.
    Last edited by All2skitzd; Jun 20, 2017 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Let me see if I can create a visualization of something that happened one hot afternoon while line boring the loader arms on a 977 Cat at a customers shop.
    The shop was brand new, he had a thing for the color white the floor was sealed concrete painted white the walls, workbenches, break table, chairs, tool boxes, even all of his construction equipment was painted white. He used white grease to lube the equipment and had white shop towels for clean up.
    Apparently one of his workers had set up a practical joke for someone.Anyway it is Saturday afternoon He is helping me reset my boring machine when in walks his High maintenance wife an actual former NFL cheerleader wearing a halter and shorts that Daisy from the Dukes of hazard TV show only wished she could have worn had it not been for the censors, body parts straining to be free of the two minimal articles of clothing She comes over to where we were struggling to get the 6 ft long boring bar centered and starts trying to show him her newest pendent hanging from a gold chin around her neck that she had just purchased.
    He tells her Honey we are very buisy right now why don't you go sit by the break table and I'll be over when I finish helping Frank.
    About half a minute later we hear the longest string of XXX rated expletives you can imagine. She had picked up what she thought was a clean shop towel to wipe the sweat off her chest only to realize too late that it was covered in white grease jumping up she also found out that the chair had been smeared with the same grease. SO there she stood in all of her soon to be almost X rated glory with white grease all over her, and her light yellow we'll call them shorts now had a huge white greasy stain on her back side all the way down the backs of her thighs. The more she frantically tried to remove the grease the more it spread until she had the stuff all over her
    He and I didn't help the situation any since the scene she was making was impossible for us to keep from laughing. Eventually she went to the ladies room and after about an hour she reemerged wearing a beach towel that she kept in there carrying her clothes in a plastic bag. Handing them to him she said here you can send these in with the uniforms for cleaning and there better not be any, more expletives stains in them, Now I'm going home to change and then to the manicurist I can't get the grease out from under my nails which set us to laughing again only this time she started laughing and said the next time I visit this filthy shop I'm wearing coveralls and gloves. More laughter.
    Never did know who put the grease on the chair and in the shop towels, but I suspect it was him hoping she would be the victim.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information