Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Has anybody Made a Funicular?

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Has anybody Made a Funicular?

I need to design and build a chair lift to to transport people up and down from my boat dock to my house.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,396 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by collinsln View Post
    I need to design and build a chair lift to to transport people up and down from my boat dock to my house.
    Check with your local authorities first. Since you would be building something that could potentially endanger people, they may require you to have a design approved by a professional engineer. There may also be requirements you haven't yet thought about such as lockouts to prevent untrained people from using the device.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Jan 23, 2023)

Thanks

Sleykin's Tools
    I need to design and build a chair lift to transport people up and down from my boat dock to my house.
    I have a stair chair in my home that runs on batteries and has a rack to drive on. If I were to make a lift like a funicular, I would look at garage door parts. The tracks and wheels would be perfect for the base. You would need a winch with a cable spool appropriate for the length of the run. I had a friend that built a lift like that to bring projects and wood up and down from his wood shop over his garage. Worked great with a Harbor Freight winch. Might want to consider a ruaway brake for it in the event the cable breaks.
    How long is the run?

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Not yet, but it is a phase of my ride on railroad plans. In my case, I have a 35ft rise over about 350ft (10% grade).

No doubt, you have researched the many existing examples. Important to your design are the physical obstacles (distance, elevation change, grade variation, anchoring, safety concerns, etc.), mechanical obstacles (track, power on board or power at high end (like cable car), power required, weight, grade changes, straight and curves, material strength, attachment to rails, attachment to rack/cable/chain, weather protection, power failure, safety concerns, etc.), operational obstacles (number of passengers per trip, age range of passengers, cycle time, control of train, power failure, mechanical failure, weather, maintenance, safety concerns, etc.), cost obstacles (design, materials, construction, equipment required, help required, access, site preparation, site maintenance, etc.), and fun.

Can you share more details on your physical obstacles?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information