Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hay baler - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,709 Times in 9,873 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Jan 25, 2022), johncg (Jan 25, 2022), nova_robotics (Jan 29, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Never saw a 10 bale drop attachment on a baler our bailers always just dropped the bales out as they were tied, but we wouldn't have wanted our bales batched together like that anyway too difficult to load on a wagon or a truck either by hand or by a loading conveyor towed along side.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Frank S; Jan 23, 2022 at 11:32 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    These grouping machines are designed to be used with loaders which have a platform boom with grappel loaders, such as this:

Hay baler - GIF-balegrapple.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Jan 25, 2022), Frank S (Jan 24, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I can remember my grandfather over half a century ago discussing with some other small farmers the merits of round bales versus square bales. They were part of an equipment ring and shared equipment that would have cost to much for any of them to buy on their own. They had a small Allis-Chalmers Roto-Baler and were thinking of buying a newer baler to replace it. They ended up buying a square baler and keeping the round baler too.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Feeding animals becomes a material handling problem once the number of animals grows over a certain size - depending on the animal. I had big animals.

Had a big round baler (5'x5' string wrap) for many years and would put up hay (100+ bales) every year. Before that, I had purchased 4'x4'x8' bales. Before that, I did 2 tie bales (about 70# per bales) for a couple years. I couldn't do 3 tie bales - they kicked my butt (110+ # per bale) - couldn't buck them high enough to stack or to transport. After the round baler, I went back to purchasing large rectangular bales, 3'x4'x8' was the best.

I looked at one of these grapple loaders and if I had stuck with 2 tie bales, it would have been the way to do those bales. Folks that use those usually don't have a bale stacker wagon. But, I looked at the material handling and peeling leaves off a big bale was far less work, so I paid attention to that...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Jan 26, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The big round bales solve some storage problems too. Even left outside the loss from the outer layers degrading is less than the loss on small bales just from handling and storing inside. At least that is what the people using large bales told me.
    Last edited by cmarlow; Jan 26, 2022 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarlow View Post
    The big round bales solve some storage problems too. Even left outside the loss from the outer layers degrading is less than the loss on small bales just from handling and storing inside.
    Somewhat better storage space utilization with the big round versus small round and much better than 2 tie, but round bales don't pack as densely as big rectangular. The round bales are roll packed where the rectangular bales are ram packed, so gravity versus hydraulics. Yes, you could leave the big rounds outside in the rain, stacking them outside was a royal pain as the rain wouldn’t run off if you stacked them more than one layer, so tarps were needed and it cascaded from there.

Going to rectangular meant a place to store, but I could get way more stored. I even got to the point that I would specify the bales to be 7’6” instead of 8’ in length so I could pack the storage easier since I was moving two or three bales at a time.

Glad I don’t do hay anymore, I don’t miss feeding with the wind blowing little bits of hay into you face, getting into all the spaces between jacket and your skin… nope, don’t miss that at all…

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Jan 26, 2022)

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarlow View Post
    The big round bales solve some storage problems too. Even left outside the loss from the outer layers degrading is less than the loss on small bales just from handling and storing inside. At least that is what the people using large bales told me.
    Forgot a comment on leaving them on the ground outside - it depends also on how well your soil drains and what your winter moisture looks like. If the ground contact is in wet rainy areas, like western Oregon where I am, the bale will rot from the bottom as well. If I had snow through the winter, leaving them outside would be fine, but rain - not much joy.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BuffaloJohn For This Useful Post:

cmarlow (Jan 26, 2022)

Thread Information