Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Heavy Duty Caster Wheel for Heavy Wooden Workbench

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools

Heavy Duty Caster Wheels for Heavy Wooden Workbench

With the heavy duty concept in mind, and to ensure long service life of the caster wheels, I came up with the idea of clamping the workbench legs between the thick aluminum angles, with the stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers.This way there will be zero chance for the wooden workbench legs to split, under the heavy load, and vibrations or pounding from the tools used on the bench.I also decided to stop using screws for the caster wheels, as I had bad experience with the legs splitting, when heavy weight was applied. Instead I tapped the M5 holes in the thick aluminum angles, using M6 thread, so that M6 stainless steel bolts can be used to hold the caster wheels.The down force of the heavy work bench weight is pushing 2 pieces of the aluminum angle apart, however they are held together by the caster wheel flat bed plates, and clamped with the M8 stainless steel bolts.I used Foot Caster wheels (model 60F, which stands for flat bed), which I also used on my very heavy welding fabrication table, and they passed with the flying colours. I believe this solution will last for a lifetime, as all the components are rust resistant, and heavy duty.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by tiger carpenter; Nov 11, 2020 at 12:51 AM. Reason: changing "wheel" to "wheels" in the title
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to tiger carpenter For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 11, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tiger carpenter! We've added your Reinforced Workbench Caster Mount to our Workbenches category,
    as well as to your builder page: tiger carpenter's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    Cheers! I really appreciate it. And thank you for a title suggestion, which better describes my build.
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    I use those caster/feet on equipment in clean rooms, though for heavy duty/impact I'd have gone for the biggest heaviest duty versions possible the through bolted angles will help protect the timber legs.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information