Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Heavy lift ring crane - video

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    NOT GOOD! We had a local one a day or so ago & the crane fell on a house but no one was injured except the operators ego. It was just lifting a spa over the house and wind or poor experience /wet ground caused the accident.
    A lot of times a contractor underestimates the size of the crane required to make a lift over a building structure. Often the weight of the object is greater than the stated weight due to additional items being pre installed.
    Even seemingly innocuous amounts of weight of small items when compiled as a whole can exponentially increase the weight at the boom tip
    Most crane companies I used to use would send their rep. out prior to sending the crane and when ever possible we did an onsite evaluation as circumstances can change quickly on a construction site sub contractors place their materials in the way or do not adhere to the project planning flow and time charts.
    There had been times when a 75 ton crane had to be used where a 25 or 30 ton crane had been planned because of a mere ten foot relocation of where the crane was going to have to be placed

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Drew1966 (Nov 22, 2018), PJs (Oct 21, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 19, 2018)

Thanks
    The electrician my boss uses took a course of some type dealing with cranes. Told me the instructor had a saying, "once you hook some thing you own it" meaning that it is all up to the operator and the crane. Have heard of some failures locally. Operator better know what their doing. Next town over operator dumped a crane on its nose lifting a tank off a water tower at the box factory. One call hate to make to the boss.
    Eric

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    A lot of times a contractor underestimates the size of the crane required to make a lift over a building structure. Often the weight of the object is greater than the stated weight due to additional items being pre installed.
    Even seemingly innocuous amounts of weight of small items when compiled as a whole can exponentially increase the weight at the boom tip
    Most crane companies I used to use would send their rep. out prior to sending the crane and when ever possible we did an onsite evaluation as circumstances can change quickly on a construction site sub contractors place their materials in the way or do not adhere to the project planning flow and time charts.
    There had been times when a 75 ton crane had to be used where a 25 or 30 ton crane had been planned because of a mere ten foot relocation of where the crane was going to have to be placed
    We ordered a small 9.5 by 4.5 metre fibreglass pool 16 years ago & the salesman told all kinds of rubbish including the ability to lift over the roof. As an excavator driver myself ,I questioned the size of the crane. "We have the right one". "if you don't I'm not paying for it or for travelling time for a different one" & made him sign that on contract. When delivery they had to get another one that could go around the house down a 7 degree slope and back up the paddock to place in situ. I had my 2 y,o, daughter in hospital for surgery that day and missed the chaos. they billed me fr it & threatened legal action when i referred to the hand written & signed notes on the contract. Ha HA had the last laugh. The sales guy lost his job.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ranald For This Useful Post:

Drew1966 (Nov 22, 2018), PJs (Oct 21, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Oct 21, 2018)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,785 Times in 11,323 Posts
    Fresh incoming record-setting crane! Sarens recently launched their new SGC-250, which is being claimed as The Largest Crane in the World (or, the largest mobile crane in the world). Not exactly certain what qualifies a crane as mobile. 2:43 video:

Some photos:

From HeavyLiftNews.com:

The most unique feature of the SGC-250 is its ability to relocate, fully rigged on site, from one lifting position to another. This is a characteristic that not only has no precedent among the Sarens fleet of cranes, but constitutes a breakthrough for the entire global crane industry. The crane has two sets of wheels: one for slewing 360° and one for travelling. The second set is hydraulically retractable and is pushed out whenever the crane needs to travel.
    More: http://www.sarens.com/media/1558122/...esentation.pdf

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Drew1966 (Nov 22, 2018), KustomsbyKent (Nov 23, 2018), MeJasonT (Nov 23, 2018), PJs (Nov 24, 2018), Seedtick (Nov 22, 2018), suther51 (Nov 23, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Nov 22, 2018)

Thanks
    Jon, a forklift is legally defined as a crane, as are certain tow trucks. The definitions of both “crane” and “mobile” seem to be quite slippery. Bloody lawyers.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Drew1966 For This Useful Post:

Jon (Nov 22, 2018), PJs (Nov 24, 2018)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Interesting; had no idea about the forklift/crane definition debacle. Looks like even OSHA has weighed in: https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/stand...ons/2012-06-21

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

MeJasonT (Nov 23, 2018), PJs (Nov 24, 2018)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Fresh incoming record-setting crane! Sarens recently launched their new SGC-250, which is being claimed as The Largest Crane in the World (or, the largest mobile crane in the world). Not exactly certain what qualifies a crane as mobile. 2:43 video:

Some photos:

From HeavyLiftNews.com:

More: http://www.sarens.com/media/1558122/...esentation.pdf
    I,VE seen some pics of some type of crane that looked larger than that one but it had a couple of bases so may be called something else. may be it was a form of dragline as it dwarfed rear dumpers which looked like ants in the pic.
    Thanks for posting Jon.

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    I like the scale examples next to it like the shipping containers and the jocking great road cranes dwarfed in comparison. Inspecting such a large beast for metal fatigue would be a task in itself and keep a grown man (or me2) actively employed. for life.

I'm intrigued as to what requires such a big lift, technically it would be cheaper to build the item on site than make it in such big parts that it requires a huge lift capacity.
    Last edited by MeJasonT; Nov 23, 2018 at 05:11 AM.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

PJs (Nov 24, 2018)

Thanks
    [QUOTE=Jon;121320]Fresh incoming record-setting crane! Sarens recently launched their new SGC-250, which is being claimed as The Largest Crane in the World (or, the largest mobile crane in the world). Not exactly certain what qualifies a crane as mobile. 2:43 video:

A bigger floating crane:

https://hmc.heerema.com/fleet/thialf/

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Been a little while since I updated this excellent thread, but this beautiful log processing crane is certainly worthy.

17. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Feb 10, 2019), PJs (Feb 8, 2019), ranald (Feb 8, 2019), rlm98253 (Feb 8, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 8, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Feb 9, 2019), volodar (Feb 8, 2019)

Thread Information