Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Heavy tire controlled explosion test - videos

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 6, 2019), carloski (Jan 1, 2022), NortonDommi (Jan 9, 2019), oldpastit (Jan 6, 2019), ranald (Jan 5, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 23, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 5, 2019), Sleykin (Feb 17, 2021), that_other_guy (Oct 12, 2021)

Thanks
    Out in the bush in Alaska, we used to use detcord to blow the beads loose on those big loader tires. If the rims were damaged, weld em up and grind em down.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    My B-in Law (late) was driving a harvester when he or rather the machine touched high voltage power lines.: all tyres exploded like baloons & he had to wait for electrical workers to cut the power before exiting the cab. Scarey stuff. He was ok but the tyres were thousands of dollars each.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    As a motorcyclist, I never stayed close to a semi. Even today in my car I do not put myself near a semi. When passing I do it as far away as possible and at speed. A lucky ex periance on my part taught me a lesson and I don't follow closely at all either.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mbshop For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jan 9, 2019)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
    As a motorcyclist, I never stayed close to a semi. Even today in my car I do not put myself near a semi. When passing I do it as far away as possible and at speed. A lucky ex periance on my part taught me a lesson and I don't follow closely at all either.
    I was 6-10 car lengths behind a semi on the freeway when it de-treaded...one hunk went over my head and I dodged 2 others and got the hell out of there. All slow motion - saw it going, backed off the throttle and hunkered down on the bars...zigg zagged, dropped a couple of gears, saw my line, and got it on when I saw the brake lights...luckily the trucker was a good driver and kept it steady. Another time I on a freeway came up behind a box truck with the door open (Doh!)...got pinned in by cars on either side and I saw something bouncing toward me...turned out it was a 4x4 maybe 4 feet long. As it got to the back of the truck and knew it was coming off, I hit it hard and just when it came off and dived in between the truck and the car on the left just as it went over my shoulder. It bounced on the end and went up maybe 6' and hit the car behind me. Merry Christmas PJ...I was One lucky SOB...twice. I don't linger near them much anymore nor ride much either after my accident in 05', finally sold my ST1050.

I remember my Dad telling stories of split rims and not paying attention. I would think these separations above would be avoidable by regulated supply. Old tires, another story.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I always kept good tires on all of my trucks. Never liked to run retreads even on the trailers unless they were my own 1st run carcasses even then the retreads were only ran on trailer that were not on long haul runs. THe bad thing is even brand new brand name tires can shuck a tread if the driver doesn't pay attention to the inflation pressures.
    Flats are going to happen even when the best of care is taken. My bud will replace both steer tires if one picks up a nail We have it patched and saved for a trailer.
    When he buys new tires always in pairs or 4 at a time he has them shaved to round and balanced and we run centrimatic automatic balancers all the way around on the tractor.
    I often see people driving right beside the tandems or the steer tires of a truck and cn only think just how completely ignorant these people are or maybe they are just plain stupid.
    Trucks pay ten's of thousands of dollars each year in road use taxes cars pay mere pennies by comparison so in my opinion cars do not have rights to use these roads they are afforded the privilege to share them.
    Commercial delivery routes State highways US highways and the interstate systems were created for commerce not for pleasure Farm to Market roads were made to transport ag products to market all other roads were made as a means that people can get from their homes to work, school, or to the stores to buy the things they require to sustain life not to wander around aimlessly while finger farking on their phones.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Recently, my daughter who is a "L"and i were travelling to Brisbane & I told her to take next exit & go back to the tyre place in the last town. She questioned me about going back a few kilometres = "trust me" . The two left hand side tyres which looked sound were ruined (by hitting a pothole) :I just hate low profile tyres. Anyhow she asked me how I knew they were faulty. It is so hard to explain the little noises, thuds, & bumps that warn us.
    While awaiting new fittments, I told her of an episode I had had some 40 years before on the same road. I felt something was wrong & pulled over to check tyres: all had great tred, pressure was good the first day of my weekend trip & appeared good. A bubble must have been high up in the guard/fender & with traffic buzzing past & very close, i somehow missed seeing it. I proceeded towards home and just as I got up to highway speed again , it blew out throwing my ute/pickup sideways across in front of oncoming traffic. A couple of quick manovers & I was again at the correct side of the verge of the highway. I'm pretty sure the 9" salisbury LSD saved the day. When the tyre blew a large chunkof the steel belt, that was still on the wheel, wrapped around the tiedown hook for my pickup camper. the steel threads had worn great furrows in the paintwork around the wheel arch before it was hooked.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Non-controlled version of a tire test.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 19, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Feb 23, 2019), Seedtick (Feb 18, 2019), Sleykin (Feb 19, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    some mothers do have them! Must have been lunar eclipse.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Looks like they were trying to seat the bead of a tubeless tire by injecting some volatile gas like propane then light it the rapid expansion will seat the bead. I've used starting fluid 100's of times to inflate stubborn tubeless tires before I got around to getting a tire flater tank with a 2" valve and nozzle. That reminds me I need to check with the guy I loaned it to he has had it long enough. If he doesn't return it soon I may have to build another
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information