Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hello! Fellow Makers

Thanks

teched's Tools

Hello! Fellow Makers

My name is Ed Moore and I live in Forestport, NY. Like building old stuff and prefer making a tool than buying one...even if cheaper. Kind of of weird I know, my wife thinks so too. Currently restoring a 1969 VW bug and had to build a engine stand. I had an engine stand but way too heavy duty for a bug motor. I made this thing from a hospital bed table that I found on the side of the road and some steel laying around the shop. Once I get more use to this site I will try to post some picts.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to teched For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Oct 15, 2015)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 39,096 Times in 11,422 Posts
    Hi Ed - welcome to HomemadeTools.net

Agreed that even if buying a tool is a bit cheaper, homemade is still often the better option: you can customize the tool to your liking, and the tool-building process enhances your skill set.

Looking forward to checking out those pics! Here's a quick video tutorial on adding pics to your posts:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi Ed,

Welcome!

I'm also looking forward to seeing those pics, both of the VW project and the engine stand.

How far along is the Bug?

Ken

Thanks

teched's Tools
    I posted some picts in the other section. Here is a couple, just in case you don't want to go looking for the others. The bug is coming along slow. Its pretty hard to find a decent bug in Upstate NY. Salt and snow just ate them up. A lady on craigslist had this one posted locally for almost a year. In that time the price dropped from $2000 to $1000. I took a look and found it to have the alot of the interior parts missing and the motor was seized. She had another engine, but that was seized too. I offered her $500 and she took it. The body is pretty solid for 1969. Her late husband was making this out of several bugs. So it has 1965 doors and seats from a 72ish. But I dont care...Its a bug!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello!  Fellow Makers-20151014_170740.jpg   Hello!  Fellow Makers-20151014_170732.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information