Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Home made table top vertical milling machine base thoughts and ideas.

Thanks

Home made table top vertical milling machine base thoughts and ideas.

Befor I get started I clicked on the 2 min totorial in red above and get a notice its no longer available. so I can't post my picture. Something for ad min to investigate.

Moving on,

Hello to all I have a first generation Smithy CB-1239 XL 3 in 1 which I plan to pull the milling head off of and turn into a stand alone milling machine. One idea is to place the lathe portion on a new flat work bench and mount the mill behind and centered to the ways of the lathe so that I can use the lathe and the saddle as my x-y axes and to mount my milling vice. rather then buy an after market x-y cross feed table

I am looking for ideas, thoughts, cautions,warnings anything to assist this build. Or if you ever thought If I had only known this or thought of that when I was building my Mill, I would have done (fill in the blank) as to the best way to go about mounting the column of the mill to the table top.

All I have at the moment is the milling head and motor and column app 3" dia plus the 6" x 8" x 1/2" plate used to mount the column to the top of the lathe gear box.
    I am thinking of some kind of metal plate with a corrosponding hole for the column to sit in with a pinch arrangement to hold the column and then a 3-4 inch coller in hight with 4 circumference holes around the hole for the column to bolt it to the base/table plate.
    If any one can provide other ideas and or pictures I would apprechiate it very much.
    Thanks in advance.
    Stantheman55

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,855 Times in 11,342 Posts
    Not ignoring; waiting for pics. Thanks for the heads up on the pic posting tutorial video; I've removed that link.

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information