Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Homemade band and disk grinder

Thanks

HartWieStahl's Tools

Homemade band and disk grinder

Hello everyone,

After a lot of tinkering, then metal working, I finally get most of the job done, and am pleased to present you my home made grinder.

Everything is from industrial trash, only things bought are grinding bands, disks for grinder and welding sticks.

Motor is 2kW 2800rpm for around 1480 m/min (4855,643feet/min) band feed.

I still have to finish the disk part, that I intend to equip with a tilt table.

Please feel free to comment or to make any suggestion!

Homemade band and disk grinder-1.jpg
    Homemade band and disk grinder-2.jpg
    Homemade band and disk grinder-3.jpg
    Homemade band and disk grinder-4.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by HartWieStahl; May 28, 2017 at 04:58 AM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to HartWieStahl For This Useful Post:

drivermark (Jun 16, 2018), Jon (May 28, 2017), KustomsbyKent (Apr 24, 2020), LMMasterMariner (May 30, 2017), mr95gst (Feb 18, 2018), Paul Jones (May 28, 2017), PJs (Jun 16, 2018), rlm98253 (May 28, 2017), rossbotics (May 30, 2017), Slim-123 (Apr 23, 2020), Tuomas (Feb 19, 2018)

Thanks
    Nicely done, sir. My only suggestion would be to add guards over the drive belts.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    прекрасно, наверно повторю, всё просто и надежно, спасибо.

Thanks

HartWieStahl's Tools
    Thank you for your kind words, and for your wise advice!

I will definitely do a protection, now that I think about it it would otherwise only be a matter of time before a part/my hand get caught by the belt!

I will add pictures when the machine will be completed.

Thanks

HartWieStahl's Tools
    ,,,спасибо!

Thanks
    Excellent, product. I tried making one from wood, but is not as stable / robust as it should be. Do you mind sharing the plans / sketches with us?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hentiev For This Useful Post:

HartWieStahl (May 29, 2017)

Thanks

HartWieStahl's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hentiev View Post
    Excellent, product. I tried making one from wood, but is not as stable / robust as it should be. Do you mind sharing the plans / sketches with us?
    I would like to have such complete drawings, however despite that I have CAD, for a long time now i only start with a basic sketch, see what material I have in stock, and then start to define dimensions in a mechanical order, one part or assembly defining the next.

Here's all that I have (Sorry for the dirtyness, I litterally work on the drawings XD):

Homemade band and disk grinder-6.jpg

If you are interrested in my building philosophy, for this machine I started with the product that I needed to respect the standard, the grinding belt, wich gave me pulleys width.

Then I looked on the V Belt (13mm thick), and looked on specs to know the minimal diameter, wich gave me the dimensions of the driving pulley ( also important at this step to check on the web the advised grinding speed depending what you intend your machine to grind, to check the ratio with the motor speed)

Next, I made both pulleys, and fitted it inside a grinding belt, to obtain the center distance.

Then I drew the design of the table.

The following order was: design of drinving pulley's shaft and fixation of it on the table, design of tension pulley shaft and tensionning system, then fixed the mast on it (with extra length to adjust only in the end), then designed the grinding disk, it's shaft, bearing housing and pulley (because at this moment I can easily align it with the groove of the belt's pulley), then the motor fixation, and at the very end setting the mast height and welding it to the base (do not forget to drill a hole for cables before to weld the mast).

Some other general considerations:

- It will go fast, so it will vibrate if material is not thick enough: consider minimum 4 to 5 millimeters thickness for the belt table, mast, bearing housing. For the tensioning system I used 15mm thick aluminium, if using steel take 10mm mini. Also do not be shy on weld, i really made a lot of passes to have rigid links between elements. Use as few bolts and screws as possible.

A last advice: If you want the grinding belt to be laterally stable in time, the area of the driving pulley where the belt sits must NOT be flat, but "crowned", wich means that if you take the width of this area the profile must be made like this:Homemade band and disk grinder-7.jpg

The width is divided in 1/4 , 1/2, 1/4, and the height of conical parts (with cylindrical part as reference), in the order of 0.2, 0.3 mm.

This will give a differential tension between the center and the sides of the belt, thus creating a self centering effect the whole life of the belt.

Do not hesitate if you have more questions!
    Last edited by HartWieStahl; May 29, 2017 at 12:18 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HartWieStahl For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jun 16, 2018)

Thanks
    Very nice.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks HartWieStahl! We've added your Band and Disc Grinder to our Grinding category,
    as well as to your builder page: HartWieStahl's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

HartWieStahl (May 30, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for the response

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hentiev For This Useful Post:

HartWieStahl (May 30, 2017)

Thread Information