Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Homemade Penetrating Oil

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Hello,
    Just a quick note on the mollasses.
    I mix it at anything betwen 40 parts and 60 parts of water by volume to 1 part of mollasses. I use a 240 liter 'wheelie bin' and throw in a haqndfull of Citric acid.
    My last bin full lasted over 30 years and was still working until I slipped and dropped a rusty Land Rover axle in and spiked the bottom.
    It makes the grass grow like crazy so used stuff can go on the compost. An occasional top up with water to cover evaporation may be needed and a bit of fresh mollasses once a year.
    Metal will not deteriate in it and I have left items in for well over a year. Stuff comes out with a blackish smut that wipes/washes off easily. oil after rinse,(dipping in Kero works), or hit with a primer.
    I use one bin with Simple Green in it to degrease, rinse then into mollasses.
    Hope this is of use.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    A pint of DOT 3 non synthetic brake fluid works great for engine oil leaks.

Had a 93 S10 with a 4.3 I bought used and it leaked 5 quarts a weeks of oil out the rear main seal. It left a puddle of oil everytime I drove it.

I added a pint of brake fluid to the oil and within two days of driving it it was down to a nickel size spot on the ground when I parked it.

I had it for 7 months after that and it never got worse.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rbjracing1 View Post
    A pint of DOT 3 non synthetic brake fluid works great for engine oil leaks.

Had a 93 S10 with a 4.3 I bought used and it leaked 5 quarts a weeks of oil out the rear main seal. It left a puddle of oil everytime I drove it.

I added a pint of brake fluid to the oil and within two days of driving it it was down to a nickel size spot on the ground when I parked it.

I had it for 7 months after that and it never got worse.
    Yes a small amount of DOT3 will soften the old harden seals. But in cases like yours a little might do good but here needs to be a warning note inserted if a little does some good a lot will do harm. Many of the materials used in the making of seals and gaskets as well as other internal components do not play well with brake fluid over extended periods of time.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Yes a small amount of DOT3 will soften the old harden seals. But in cases like yours a little might do good but here needs to be a warning note inserted if a little does some good a lot will do harm. Many of the materials used in the making of seals and gaskets as well as other internal components do not play well with brake fluid over extended periods of time.
    Amen bro! ATF has chems in it that soften seals and is not corrosive like DOT3. I'm not sure about synthetic DOT3, but regular obsorbs water from the air. That's what destroys old seals over time because it pits the metal in the wheel cyls and master cyl. It also plays havoc with the stabilizers in the motor oil and cause it to foam. No Bueno por nada, jes sayin'.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Mononeuron (May 31, 2017)

Thanks
    I only ran it for a few days after the engine all but stopped leaking. Did not get worse the whole time I had it.

When you think about it the seals are not soaking in it they only see splast and residual.

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Well I went and picked up the stock sale ISO 46 hydrualic oil the other day and mixed some 50/50 with kero to try as cutting oil and of course put it up against the ATF/Kero mix to see if there was a difference,(using old Dextron III which is the same viscosity over -20C to 100C as ISO 46), the ATF mix was slightly better.
    I had a bottle of Morey's Heavey Duty Oil Styabiliser out and thought I'd add a couple of drops to the Kero/hydrualic mix to see what happened.
    A big improvement is what happened which led to a late dinner.
    The final mix I came up with was equal parts of Kero, ATF and hydrualic oil by volume and then add 6% Morey's. Why 6%? well by the time I'd finished mucking around that's what it turned out at. I usually only use 5% in auto trannys and 10% in engines, manual trans and diffs.
    I'm now wondering what Morey's feul additive will do??
    This new mix spread nearly 50% greater than Kero/ATF overnight which really suprised me. There is very little difference between the hydrualic oil I am using and ATF as anyone with farm equipment can tell you but somehow the seem to enhance the penitration of each other.
    I'd be interested to see if anyone else has the same results. It's certainly cheap and not to volitile and most people will have the ingredients knocking about.
    - Barry.

Thanks
    I have a bad habit of sticking my foot down my throat, but here goes again; what the heck is a "stale trooper"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by George Breckenridge View Post
    I have a bad habit of sticking my foot down my throat, but here goes again; what the heck is a "stale trooper"?
    maybe if you use the quote feature people could have the whole story. It looks like it might be "state trooper".
    Nelson

Thanks
    I read it as the State Trooper is a bit sick of his job hence the " Stale " bit. lol

Thanks

Stale Troopr_??

Quote Originally Posted by Mononeuron View Post
    I read it as the State Trooper is a bit sick of his job hence the " Stale " bit. lol
    Or Possibly a Retired Trooper ?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information