Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Rotary Table

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Astro's Tools

Homemade Rotary Table

Homemade Rotary Table
    I needed a rotary table to machine circular sections of parts on my milling machine and to drill holes equispaced on a PCD. I had a right angle drive wormbox with an 80:1 reduction, so I figured if I could somehow fix a clamping table to the driven axis then I would achieve what I needed. During my search for suitable plate steel I came across a flywheel from a soil compactor with 80 teeth. This would at least enable me to use divisions of 80. (2,4,5,8,10,16,20) A little restrictive but better than what I had.
    First job was to machine both sides of the wormbox, which I did by using and end mill and clamping the driven axis of the wormbox to my milling table and rotating the box by hand, (very carefully I might add).

Homemade Rotary Table-wormbox-machining.jpg

Next was to machine the top and bottom plates to be a precise fit onto the box and to integrate the flywheel under the top plate.
    The 10” diameter plates were at the limit of my lathe’s capacity and some care was needed with toolpost placement at times. The pitched holes were all carefully manually marked and drilled as I didn’t have a better method at this stage.

Homemade Rotary Table-rotary-table-toplate.jpg
    Homemade Rotary Table-top-bottom-plate-machining1.jpg
    Homemade Rotary Table-top-bottom-plate-machining2.jpg
    Homemade Rotary Table-dividing-ring-machining.jpg

I made a sub-top plate and axle to attach the top plate to the driven gear, machined tee-slots into the top plate and made tee-nuts to suit. Unfortunately I don’t have any photo’s of these items.
    I made an aluminium drive handle with speed holes manually pitched, and a 3 position division locking mechanism. 1stposition- engaging the root of the tooth, 2nd position- straddling the tip of the tooth, 3rd position- fully retracted.

Homemade Rotary Table-rotary-table1.jpg
    Homemade Rotary Table-rotary-table2.jpg
    Homemade Rotary Table-rotary-table3.jpg

I enjoyed making this table and continue to enjoy using it, and just recently I have acquired another rotary table which has 360 degree divisions with accuracy in minutes and seconds, so this now allows me to cover all possible divisions.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Altair (May 24, 2015), bobs409 (May 5, 2017), Captainleeward (Dec 23, 2017), Carnel (Jan 25, 2020), Cascao (Dec 26, 2017), DIYer (May 27, 2015), EnginePaul (Dec 23, 2017), jackman (Dec 22, 2017), Jon (May 23, 2015), kbalch (May 26, 2015), Lee Bell (Jan 24, 2020), Marine2171 (May 7, 2018), Paul Jones (May 26, 2015), PJs (May 27, 2015), rendoman (Aug 30, 2016), rlm98253 (Dec 22, 2017), roncoffey (Apr 26, 2018), Scotsman Hosie (May 24, 2018), sossol (Dec 23, 2017), TAWPTool (May 27, 2015), Toolmaker51 (Dec 24, 2017)

Thanks

baskarz's Tools
    Very nice!
    Where did you get the right angle worm box?

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,705 Times in 9,871 Posts
    Nicely done Astro. Thanks for showing us how to build one with little machining required.

Al

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Astro's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by baskarz View Post
    Very nice!
    Where did you get the right angle worm box?
    I picked up the wormbox from a garage sale in my neighbourhood. An ex-engineer was selling up his life's collection. Hunt around, I'm sure you'll be able to find one

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 30, 2016), PJs (Aug 31, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanks Astro! I've added your Rotary Table to our Machining category, as well as to your builder page: Astro's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Great work, and post detail, on that rotary table, Astro. Thanks!

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Nicely done! I have a couple of self propelled lawn mower gear boxes that I have been hunting for something good to use them for
    Last edited by jere; May 27, 2015 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks
    Hi Astro,

Very nice work! Your Rotary Table is the 'Tool of the Week'!

You'll be receiving one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts:

Homemade Rotary Table-black-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Homemade Rotary Table-black-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg
    Homemade Rotary Table-white-shirt-front-actual-design.jpg Homemade Rotary Table-white-shirt-rear-actual-design.jpg

Just let me have (via PM) your details (size, color choice, and mailing address) and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

Thanks
    This thread has been moved to the Must Read subforum. Congrats (and thanks) to Astro for making such a valuable contribution!

Supporting Member Gary A. Wills's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks for showing the way you made yours, I've been going to make one now I know I will . Mainly because I can't afford the ones they sell, I can get a 60-1 reducer for thirty bucks, have a nice 8" faceplate, can get starter ring gear from an old mower engine. Even have a nice piece of 1/2" plate to make the bottom. Yupp ya helped me past my whys and should I . Thanks

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gary A. Wills For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Aug 30, 2016), PJs (Aug 31, 2016)

Thread Information