Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Syrian weapons

Thanks
    I'm disappointed..there are no plans.... Just kidding of course, but I do wonder what they were using for the stretch-material on the slingshot. That was pretty neat.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VinnieL For This Useful Post:

Jon (Mar 18, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    wouldn't want that bungee to break or drop it after lit.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    3 guys; one is the 'primer', one with good grip the trigger, one the sear.
    They have to work in sync, not only the obvious premature or un-launched detonation, but prevent trigger re-designated projectile, or suicide paratrooper...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Just look at the smiles after the explosive has been launched. They sure look happy that it’s gone.

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    The salient feature of the weaponry in this conflict seems to be that it is so anachronistic - chronologically out of sync. Like in a movie, when a time traveler goes back to the 1800s and pulls a cellphone out of his pocket. For example, the juxtaposition of medieval siege weaponry with computer tablets for tracking.

Here we see the classic Syrian "Hell Cannon", but it actually looks like its construction standards have advanced, and it's hooked to a nice looking tractor.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 4, 2019), ranald (Apr 4, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 7, 2019), Seedtick (Apr 3, 2019)

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    The salient feature of the weaponry in this conflict seems to be that it is so anachronistic - chronologically out of sync. Like in a movie, when a time traveler goes back to the 1800s and pulls a cellphone out of his pocket. For example, the juxtaposition of medieval siege weaponry with computer tablets for tracking.

Here we see the classic Syrian "Hell Cannon", but it actually looks like its construction standards have advanced, and it's hooked to a nice looking tractor.

<video controls autoplay loop>
    <source src="https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmt-forum/tractor_pulled_syrian_cannon.mp4" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
    </video>
    LOL>Reminds me of Peter Sellers wearing a gold wrist watch in a movie set a thousand years ago then a Jet flies over the scene.

The tractor looks cool! I was at an plant auction when a tractor with less than 1 hr on the clock was driven in at almost break neck speed and almost rolled when turned for inspection of the crowd, creating much laughter in the buyers ring. It was a Chinese one. Don't know why the owner was selling.
    Last edited by ranald; Apr 4, 2019 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add extra

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    Homemade Syrian weapons-195507263a3da9601f66c40f15280ec4.jpg

Scary, what can i say
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Jul 2, 2019), ranald (Apr 19, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 7, 2019)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    For the record, since repeated cries of "Allahu Akbar" are not my preferred form of audio entertainment. In the context of nearly all of the nations whose people visit this board, the people pictured here (I believe?) would be considered the "good" guys; or probably the "less-bad" guys is more fair.

More importantly, the post-apocalyptic technological and military environment on the streets in Syria is rare, and, while I do pass on a lot of war videos, there is valid ingenuity and unusual (if sparse) construction on display here, and this is our only chance to observe it.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

ranald (Apr 19, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 7, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Apr 4, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Odd as it sounds, whatever freedom means, it varies among different people.
    And those who sit back and enjoy it, are worst at defining it.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Jul 2, 2019), ranald (Apr 19, 2019)

Thanks

MeJasonT's Tools
    People are people wherever they live. I was watching Kusrk the other night and was pleased to see the film (although fictional to a certain extent) did not portray the Russian submarine crew as stupid or war mongering. Those of us who have served share a certain respect for our fo's, chances are they are human, children or parents of somebody and definitely believe there right to win the war is godly and righteous, Its not just a western idea. When it comes to war we are actually the amateurs, the middle and far east were building war machines and weaponry long before we crawled out of caves. Syria is suffering a civil war on one side and ISIS on the other, the defenders are loosing against there own regime and being captured by ISIS. The dictator running Syria is behaving like Hitler in his actions and deeds and the others (ISIS) are just mad, they are fighting everybody. If the US or UK were to go to war against an unseen enemy basically the rest of the world, we would stand a good chance of loosing - you cant have eyes and guns everywhere. ISIS thinks that we will all change religion and follow Mohamed, the world is now pretty much populated by atheists, there is a good chance they will fail in this endeavour. The crude weapon construction is what comes out of war from poorly equipped soldiers. (what like a shortage of boots and armour in the gulf)

Civil wars are a good example of mans ingenuity of finding ways to bash your enemies brains out when you don't have a stock pile of cruise missiles or fighter jets. Power is a very dangerous thing the people we elect assume power and suggest that it was our vote which provided them with supremacy.
    Our western leaders have forgotten that they are the servants and its only a matter of time until democracy breaks down, its not as if its never historically happened before. Brexit could lead to our civil war, the EU will eventually upset it member states and falter and Donald could very easily pee off the US, The USSR collapsed because member states couldn't agree and were being controlled by one state.
    I may be biased when it comes to my view on Brexit. Whatever anyone tells you, we are cut off from mainland Europe by water and have always been the outsider from the land locked countries for that very reason, we have always had to stand on our own two feet. It is the EU (the governing body - not European countries) that are self interested and financially motivated to use the UK as a cash cow. We have not been treated equally or fairly within the EU and 40 years worth of journalistic reports on our protests and dissatisfaction with the governance of the EU is why many chose to leave (with or without all the facts we apparently didn't have).
    Allegedly i'm (as a Brexiteer) only thinking of my own future and not that of the UK. Funny but i wont be better off by us leaving but i think the UK can be a much stronger country out of the Union. does that sound selfish to you. The minority are pulling out all the stops to change the decision and keep us locked into the EU.
    I make this reference here as I feel our country will end up in conflict and civil unrest, the government will go to any lengths to suppress peoples freedom of speech or right to protest protest. You may be able to see first hand how a democracy breaks down and results in civil disorder, They have already put the military on standby and are preparing additional riot police in the event of a no deal. Its obviously the outcome they expect or they would see no need to prepare for it. We are living in interesting times.

Its amazing what people can make to defend themselves when there backs are against a wall and all the weaponry is controlled by government forces. Whilst working offshore i had the privileged of working with guys who manufactured marvellous devices and parts from nothing, basically the scraps lying around the boat/rig. Its a skill i managed to acquire myself.

We all get sent to war or end up defending ourselves against the idiotic idealism of our leaders at some point. Lets face it there not our enemy they are the enemy of the power hungry leaders. Would i serve again NO. not for politicians. I feel a conscious objection coming on, would i protect my country yes. I signed a contract with the devil so to speak - if HRH chooses to mobilise her forces then i would probably answer the call but will treat politicians like the annoying foreign fraudsters who call pretending to be from Microsoft to fix my PC by siphoning off my personal information. In fact if Microsoft genuinely call, how do i know its you and not a fraudster - i'm not accepting your call.
    The long and short of it is that its all about money and oil. The breakaway faction of Islam with its strong views on its version of religion dating back to the conquests in North Africa around 10 AD? (not sure of year, somewhere between Constantine in 4 AD and the various conquests leading up to 12 AD) where the kings right hand man killed him and took over his kingdom and decided Islam was being destroyed by weak followers and sinners imposing a strict religious ideology on his people. Basically the birth of ISIS, who incidentally would give BP,Total, Chevron etc a good run for their money when it comes to Oil. That's about the jist of it. (making no judgement here)

Freedom of speech and considering our nations (UK/US) as free is a fallacy, we no longer have freedom and all this control is governed by our servants (politicians). what do they gain from this control apart from their own personal wealth. I personally feel that i now work for the civil service, i work harder than i have ever done before and pay the largest portion of my salary in taxes, Its tipped the balance to the point that i pay tax before i eat or heat my home. You can see how these conflicts start right. The conflict in Syria is the peoples failed attempt at the Arab Spring uprising with an obvious third party getting itself involved to fight for land. Then add Russia and the rest into the mix - Its a huge free for all, Ozzy rule football.
    Citizen of the "New democratic" Republic of Britain, liberated from the EuroNation

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MeJasonT For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 7, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Apr 5, 2019)

Thread Information