Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hook knife from bearing

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Hook knife from bearing

Hook knife from bearing-img_0510.jpeg

Hook knife from bearing-img_0512.jpeg

I had a discarded bearing, about 2” across. I made a single cut in it with an angle grinder. It went in the gas forge when I was doing other bits. The radius is unaltered and I think the bevel is too thick. I used two pairs of grips to straighten out half the radius,then forged a tang. I quenched it, just at a low red heat, by putting it bevel down in a shallow pan of water about 3/16” deep, and left it, just mildly agitating the water as it hissed. This, I think, will be sufficient heat treatment.
    I have made a lot of double length handles, both for others and for my self, because I prefer longer ones for files. With the scorps I’ve made I use both hands to carve, dragging the chips towards me.

I’m not worried if it doesn’t cut too well, if necessary I will use a small stone to hollow grind it. I don’t think it will break, since I put it in the vice to knock the handle down the tang, but the rivet, a copper nail, should hold it against the pull.

I expect others have done this on HMT, it’s not an original idea by any means. I have seen somewhere a nice little wooden box to protect the blade. But mine is kept in a spectacles pouch.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 18, 2023), Christophe Mineau (Sep 12, 2023), Frank S (Sep 12, 2023), johncg (Sep 13, 2023), Jon (Sep 12, 2023), nova_robotics (Sep 12, 2023), piper184 (Sep 12, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Nice knife Philip; If the bevel is no more than that of a wood chisel, It should be fine if not then like you say a hollow grind will take care of it.
    I like long handles on woodworking tools, but I don't do much woodworking either.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Sep 13, 2023)

Supporting Member Christophe Mineau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,691 Times in 481 Posts

Christophe Mineau's Tools
    Yes, great Phil, ideally that's good to have several cut angles in the tool box, I'm sure this one would be great refining the bottom of a bowl or ladle

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Christophe Mineau For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Sep 13, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,654 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Hook Knife to our Knife Making category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information