Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hooks from old pliers

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Hooks from old pliers

Hooks from old pliers-ac782c97-43d2-4abc-bb92-5de9619b725d.jpg

This is the first coat hook I made from an old pair of pliers. I epoxied a “face” to it, but no longer do this, I do not want to do anything that might be classified as representational art.

Hooks from old pliers-dfb74bdf-d698-43fd-8b36-56eb46473db3.jpg
    Here are the ones I have mounted on plaques today. The plaques were made sometime back and the pliers were bent into hooks, in the forge, about two years ago. Yesterday, I spent a while welding bolts and studs to the back of the pliers. They need a stud to stop it swaying from side to side.

The plaques are a bit beaten up, aren’t they? This is SHABBY CHIC. It’s a fashion, it won’t last long. Not to everyone’s taste! People like the idea of recycling. It’s green. Well, not really, because the amount of energy expended is greater than that which would be needed to melt them down! Besides, they are black. This is produced by charring, a technique which is used in Japan, called Su Sugi Ban, I believe. Only I understand that it is largely done to preserve wood and is applied uniformly. The two really black ones are reclaimed oak, the other two are from bits of pine furniture. The frames, which I made from old fretsaw frames, have been burnt into the wood, in order to recess them. They needed a lot of heats, mainly when the weather was drizzling.

Hooks from old pliers-7489c23a-e2a7-4429-99b0-4b9aeb348834.jpg
    I hope you can see from this how the reins have been bent. This has to be done hot of course, since it’s high carbon steel.

Hooks from old pliers-8dd13a5e-cc3b-418b-82be-ec5107337d2a.jpg
    I’ve made quite a few. Whenever I have the fire going, I bend a couple of pliers. The ones that are wrapped are sets of 4 & 6.

Hooks from old pliers-de9ffd1c-de1d-4f66-af6f-1f510e52e0cd.jpg

A closer view.

I would just like to add that, while these are for sale, they are not for my personal profit. But I hope they all get sold, eventually.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Altair (Aug 4, 2019), baja (Aug 6, 2019), bigtrev8xl (Aug 6, 2019), Jon (Aug 3, 2019), rlm98253 (Aug 5, 2019), will52100 (Aug 5, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Wall Hook Racks to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thread Information