Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Horse-powered log splitter

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,789 Times in 11,325 Posts

Horse-powered log splitter

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jul 30, 2019), baja (Jul 30, 2019), high-side (Jul 30, 2019), IAMSatisfied (Jul 29, 2019), olderdan (Jul 29, 2019), rlm98253 (Jul 29, 2019), Seedtick (Jul 29, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jul 29, 2019), volodar (Jul 30, 2019), wolfpaak (Jul 29, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Horse-powered log splitter;
    <lyrics snipped>

The Suffolk, the Clydesdale, the Percheron vie
    with the Shire on his feathers floating
    Hauling soft timber into the dusk
    to bed on a warm straw coating.

Heavy Horses, move the land under me
    Behind the plough gliding --- slipping and sliding free
    Now you're down to the few
    And there's no work to do
    The tractor's on its way.

Let me find you a filly for your proud stallion seed
    to keep the old line going.
    And we'll stand you abreast at the back of the wood
    behind the young trees growing
    To hide you from eyes that mock at your girth,
    and your eighteen hands at the shoulder
    And one day when the oil barons have all dripped dry
    and the nights are seen to draw colder
    They'll beg for your strength, your gentle power
    your noble grace and your bearing

"Heavy Horses"
    Ian Anderson

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

volodar (Jul 30, 2019)

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    How is this horse powering this log splitter? If you’re telling me there’s a generator somewhere in that horse treadmill I’d be more interested to see how that is set up than to claim this log splitter is somehow being powered by that horse with zero evidence.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 466 Posts

olderdan's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    How is this horse powering this log splitter? If you’re telling me there’s a generator somewhere in that horse treadmill I’d be more interested to see how that is set up than to claim this log splitter is somehow being powered by that horse with zero evidence.
    As I see it there is a drive shaft from the front of the treadmill connected to the log splitter.

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    You're joking...or you don't see the pto shaft spinning?

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thevillageinn View Post
    You're joking...or you don't see the pto shaft spinning?
    OK I do see a PTO shaft spinning. I do not see where the PTO shaft is connected to the treadmill. Could be connected to a small engine or even an electric motor. I still say there is zero evidence of this horse is actually powering that log splitter. If you’re going to make a video about a horse powering a log splitter why wouldn’t you make it obvious as to how was being done? Maybe it is exactly as it seems but why? What is the advantage? Is it just some sort of OK I can do it so I will? Or is this a hoax video?

The more I think about it, why would you endanger the life of a multi thousand, possibly tens of thousand dollar, what looks to be a Belgian Clydesdale horse so you can power your POS log splitter? I could power that log splitter with a $200 generator from Harbor freight. I think that would be much more economical than even the hay you would have to feed a horse in order to get them to do this. I find this a very dangerous endeavor for a beautiful beast in order to power a log splitter because the dude doesn’t want to use a splitting mall.
    Last edited by Radioman; Jul 30, 2019 at 03:10 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Radioman For This Useful Post:

jimfols (Jul 30, 2019)

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    Good questions! Only a couple folks actually know the answers I guess.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
    OK I do see a PTO shaft spinning. I do not see where the PTO shaft is connected to the treadmill. Could be connected to a small engine or even an electric motor. I still say there is zero evidence of this horse is actually powering that log splitter. If you’re going to make a video about a horse powering a log splitter why wouldn’t you make it obvious as to how was being done? Maybe it is exactly as it seems but why? What is the advantage? Is it just some sort of OK I can do it so I will? Or is this a hoax video?

The more I think about it, why would you endanger the life of a multi thousand, possibly tens of thousand dollar, what looks to be a Belgian Clydesdale horse so you can power your POS log splitter? I could power that log splitter with a $200 generator from Harbor freight. I think that would be much more economical than even the hay you would have to feed a horse in order to get them to do this. I find this a very dangerous endeavor for a beautiful beast in order to power a log splitter because the dude doesn’t want to use a splitting mall.
    It is a simple matter to connect a treadmill axle to a shaft - say, u-joint. However, pleeease tell - How is the horse's life endangered? Why do you find this to be "a very dangerous endeavour"? The horse is getting gentle exercise on a treadmill. Exercise the horse needs - probably enjoys. In the video this horse has human, equestrian, and canine company. A setup beneficial to all participants - I know I would enjoy it! And of course the horse needs to be fed, whether or not helping to split wood. Contrary to his comment, the commenter could not power this log splitter "with a $200 generator from Harbor Freight". This splitter has no electric motor for powering hydraulics. And of course the dude doesn't use a splitting mall(sic) - he has a splitter! Best of all, the dude doesn't have listen to the noise or breathe the toxic pollutants produced by a generator. This goes for the animals as well. I won't start on the "much more economical" nonsense.
    Last edited by volodar; Jul 30, 2019 at 08:45 PM. Reason: addition

Thanks

Radioman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by volodar View Post
    It is a simple matter to connect a treadmill axle to a shaft - say, u-joint. However, pleeease tell - How is the horse's life endangered? Why do you find this to be "a very dangerous endeavour"? The horse is getting gentle exercise on a treadmill. Exercise the horse needs - probably enjoys. In the video this horse has human, equestrian, and canine company. A setup beneficial to all participants - I know I would enjoy it! And of course the horse needs to be fed, whether or not helping to split wood. Contrary to his comment, the commenter could not power this log splitter "with a $200 generator from Harbor Freight". This splitter has no electric motor for powering hydraulics. And of course the dude doesn't use a splitting mall(sic) - he has a splitter! Best of all, the dude doesn't have listen to the noise or breathe the toxic pollutants produced by a generator. This goes for the animals as well. I won't start on the "much more economical" nonsense.
    OK I don’t know where to start with this ridiculousness if you can’t see it for yourself. I guess I’ll have to use small words to explain it very simply. You have a 4000 pound + draft animal 1-1/2 to 2 feet off the ground walking on a Mickey Mouse treadmill. Horse is wearing metal shoes walking on a very hard surface. Very slippery. Do you think for a minute if that horse slipped that those gates on either side would hold him up if he need to rely on them for balance? Do you think that crossbeam behind its ass would hold it if he needed it to? Not a chance. A draft animal of that size that loses its balance can snap a leg like a toothpick especially when it’s 1-1/2 to 2 feet off the ground where it was never meant to ever be. What happens when a horse breaks its leg? Especially a draft horse? That’s right it has to be put down. So I’d call that a life threatening situation. So yes the animals life is in danger by this hotdogging farmer who wants to show off by powering his POS log splitter with his horse. If that horse slipped the entire machine could go over side ways.
    If you want your horse to get exercise they make radial horse walkers where your horse can get all the exercise it wants by walking on the soft dirt and keeping its feet firmly planted on the ground.
    Also to educate you about log splitters that machine has no hydraulics at all. If you add a one horsepower electric motor and a $200 generator you’re good to go. That is a fly wheel style splitter.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Please, don't be afraid to use big words! It helps though, for even small ones to be spelled right. "That is a fly wheel style splitter." I know, that's one of my points. No electrics or hydraulics on that inertial splitter, so a generator alone wouldn't do squat. In this post, however, you have snuck in an electric motor (check your original)! As far as the horse is concerned, the mechanical setup appears reasonable to me - but perhaps it is not, and could be improved. Horse seems relaxed, at easy walk. However, although I love horses, their husbandry is not among my fields of concentration - so, lots to learn there. However, we support all animal welfare causes. Firewood/splitter experience? For over thirty years we've heated only with wood. Doug Fir, Western Hemlock, Alder, Vine Maple, Arbutus, Pacific Willow. We have rain forest ocean front. Firewood wise, I am faller, bucker, splitter, stacker, and 79. Chainsaws, winches, mauls, wedges, axes are some of my forestry tools. Indispensable for production is my home-modified hydraulic splitter. Have several cords always available. Storage is on fork-lift pallets, about a cubic meter each, under a long shed roof. Bobcat forks do the pallet manoeuvering (don't be afraid to use big words, as long as you know them well). Cheers!

peter
    Last edited by volodar; Jul 31, 2019 at 12:19 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to volodar For This Useful Post:

bob47907 (Jul 31, 2019)

Thread Information