Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hose barbs - video

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,861 Times in 11,344 Posts

Hose barbs - video

Hose barbs. By Jeremy Makes Things. 10:20 video:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

lassab999 (Aug 4, 2023), piper184 (Aug 4, 2023), RetiredFAE (Aug 3, 2023), schuylergrace (Aug 3, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    He is right about a couple of his observations. For the most part making fiddly little parts always seem to take longer to do the first one than any follow up parts.
    Maintaining some organization to your tools is a huge factor. which eats up time if you have to search for them.
    You can rarely cost effectively make some items yourself. However, in many cases the fiddlier they are the harder they are to locate for purchasing either, and some things cannot be found at any price, or you spend either half a day searching on the internet or driving all over town and still not find the exact item you need, or it is the weekend or a holiday or late at night and you need it now not next week. This is when it suddenly becomes cost effective regardless of how long it takes you to make it.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

piper184 (Aug 4, 2023)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    or it is the weekend or a holiday or late at night and you need it now not next week. This is when it suddenly becomes cost effective regardless of how long it takes you to make it.
    With ever longer lead times from Swagelok, Parker, Hoke and Ham-Let, and pricing increases, hose barbs are now a regular item in our research shop, especially those in exotic materials. The number of times my mini lathe (Emco Compact 5) at home has bailed me out when I need something NOW maybe small, but every time it's been worth the investment in buying it and maintaining it and basic material stocks to feed it. My neighbour's also benefit as I make and modify things urgently to fix things, from cutting down split necked 30-30 cases (after 10+ reloads, so not unexpected) to make wooden sign mounting stand-off spacers, to making a wrong sized (metric) tap insert fit and older imperial kitchen sink tap, having the tools and ability, and being as tight as a duck arse, is something many of us older people with a can do attitude, do. I fear the younger 'just buy it' generations will never survive if Amazon cannot supply...

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Aug 6, 2023), piper184 (Aug 4, 2023), WmRMeyers (Aug 4, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NeiljohnUK View Post
    With ever longer lead times from Swagelok, Parker, Hoke and Ham-Let, and pricing increases, hose barbs are now a regular item in our research shop, especially those in exotic materials. The number of times my mini lathe (Emco Compact 5) at home has bailed me out when I need something NOW maybe small, but every time it's been worth the investment in buying it and maintaining it and basic material stocks to feed it. My neighbour's also benefit as I make and modify things urgently to fix things, from cutting down split necked 30-30 cases (after 10+ reloads, so not unexpected) to make wooden sign mounting stand-off spacers, to making a wrong sized (metric) tap insert fit and older imperial kitchen sink tap, having the tools and ability, and being as tight as a duck arse, is something many of us older people with a can do attitude, do. I fear the younger 'just buy it' generations will never survive if Amazon cannot supply...
    In my case it usually boils down to a farmer, or a contractor drops off something that he absolutely has to have the next morning. It is usually late enough in the afternoon that even should a place within 70 miles have the item there is no way I could drive there to pick it up before they close, most understandably are unwilling to wait half an hour just to make a $10.00 sale. And I can make the part in less time than it would cost me to make the round trip anyway.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

marksbug (Aug 6, 2023), NeiljohnUK (Aug 4, 2023)

Thanks
    Ive made many of those over the years, mostly brass or aluminum. also fixed ones that were not made right.and made bulkhead fitting's bungs etc and more. sometimes I just dont feal like driving to the hardware store. I do miss having the parker stuff to put togeather high pressure hoses. I thought abolut making the press& dies but I dont do enough. I have made some dies and JUST USED IN THE VISE or std type press. never had a issue with them.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by marksbug; Aug 6, 2023 at 04:43 PM.

Thread Information