Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: How Pipes Freeze

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools

How Pipes Freeze

There is a thread somewhere on HMT about freeze damaged plumbing pipes. I would add this to that thread, but I cannot find it.

I stumbled onto this article on the Journal of Light Construction site.

How Pipes Freeze-burst-pipe.jpeg

This link is to the specific article.

This is the PDF of the article.
    How Pipes Freeze.pdf

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Altair (Feb 11, 2022), Floradawg (Feb 8, 2022), Inner (Feb 7, 2022), nova_robotics (Feb 7, 2022)

Thanks

katy's Tools
    Years ago I had a frozen pipe like that, happened in the winter, found it in the spring. I hammered the pipe back into shape, soldered over top of the split and no more leak.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to katy For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Feb 12, 2022)

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by katy View Post
    Years ago I had a frozen pipe like that, happened in the winter, found it in the spring. I hammered the pipe back into shape, soldered over top of the split and no more leak.
    Same here. Except I couldn't find my hammer, so I cut the pipe back where it was in shape, soldered a new piece over the gap and no more leak.

Thanks
    I can personally attest that the 'split' is not the only way pipes will freeze & burst.

In Dec. 83, my new wife & I were renting a ranch house in Nashville TN. In typical TN fashion, there was no basement, just a crawlspace, with vents in the foundation. We both grew up near Buffalo, NY, in houses with basements, and did not know how to deal with crawlspaces. We did not know, nor did the landlord prompt us, to close the foundation vents in the winter.

We went back home to WNY for Christmas & New Years, and that was a terrifically cold & windy year, all across the US, and esp. in Nashville. While we were gone the prevailing winds in Nashville were from the North and hit the front of the house, streamed thru the crawlspace and out the back. Every copper water pipe in the crawlspace burst, but not often by splitting. Almost every one had pushed off the elbow at the end where it turned to go up to fixtures. Just completely broke the solder joint and pushed the elbow right off the pipe.

We came back from our vacation to a river of ice down our driveway to the street; a neighbor had seen it, had tried to get the water dept. to shut it off, but the wouldn't do anything without say-so from the landlord, so however long the water was flowing and freezing, it took several more hours to get the landlord involved.

Yes, ice can be stronger than solder.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kb4mdz For This Useful Post:

Karl_H (Feb 14, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by kb4mdz View Post
    I can personally attest that the 'split' is not the only way pipes will freeze & burst. ...snip... Yes, ice can be stronger than solder.
    I am not arguing that the joints did not fail, but I do question the quality of those solder joints.

I have seen pipes with a large "bubble" in the pipe where the pressure deformed the pipe, but it did not break. I have seen fittings, 90's, split open between the solder joints. The pressure will escape from the weakest point.

Freezing water can generate over 40,000 PSI, if it is contained, unable to expand, in something that can hold that much pressure, if not, the water WILL break the container.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information