Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: HSS Boring Bar Tool Rack

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

HSS Boring Bar Tool Rack

I consolidated a collection of high-quality 1/2" shank diameter HSS Cobalt (5%) boring bar tools for my metal lathes and milling machine boring heads.

I find this an easier way to keep track of the boring cutting tools by showing each on a tool shelf instead of keeping them hidden in a tool chest drawer.

This is similar to my previous postings at HMT for other wood tool racks (http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/w...4984#post19349 ). These tool racks are so easy to make and when you are done, you will have a great way to simply organize your shop.

This oak boring bar tool rack is only 3" X 3" x 3/4" high and holds nine 1/2" diameter short HSS boring bars. The holes holding the boring bar shanks were drill 1/2" deep using a 1/2" dia. Forstner bit. The Forstner bit drills a very clean hole without splitting the oak wood. The oak base was finished with a Deft Interior Clear Wood Finish Semi-Gloss Spray (one of my favorites for wood finishing).

HSS Boring Bar Tool Rack-one-half-inch-dia-boring-bar-oak-rack.jpg

HSS Boring Bar Tool Rack-oak-wood-rack-nine-one-half-inch-dia.-shank-hss-boring-bars.jpg

This is how it looks on the shelf in the shop besides a mahogany tool rack for a collection of 90 degree countersinks, homemade Harding-like lathe cutting tool height gage (http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/l...8587#post25937) and homemade boring bar sleeve for a solid carbide boring baring (see http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/b...9170#post88798. It is very easy to see the boring tool selection possibilities.

HSS Boring Bar Tool Rack-oak-wood-rack-hss-boring-bars-onthe-shelf.jpg

Thank you for looking,

Paul Jones

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 30, 2018 at 07:35 AM. Reason: added detail about the HSS Cobalt (5%) boring bars

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

LMMasterMariner (Mar 12, 2018), olderdan (Mar 13, 2018), PJs (Mar 12, 2018), rossbotics (Mar 11, 2018), Seedtick (Mar 11, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Very Nice Paul and perfect for your collections. I was just talking about this type of rack the other day in another post. The idea of combining sets into a single platform to me gives the most versatility, easy access, and storage options like you show in your other posting. They can also be made from small pieces of left over materials too! Nice grind and finish on those boring bars!

Thanks for posting another great idea.
    PJ

2000 Tool Plans
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 12, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    PJs,

The boring boring bars are a super sharp type of cobalt (5%) HSS boring bars honed with an extra fine diamond hone. For health reasons I don't like grinding cobalt HSS cutters but they are very tough. It took about one year to collect the individual boring bars from various KBC Tools sales during their super discount sales days and of course waiting for their back-orders because these were so popular and out of stock.

I have lots of left-over oak, birch, and mahogany from my cabinet milling work. I would like to burn the left-over oak in our fireplaces but would rather keep it for reuse.

Thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 30, 2018 at 07:38 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 13, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Paul Jones! We've added your Boring Bar Rack to our Racks category,
    as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information