Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive heavy dusty adjustable feet for table jig or bench

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie48 View Post
    Excellent simple idea, will be using it this weekend for my Mini Lathe bench I am making, the imbecile who did my workshop floor (garage) mustn't have used a level as it slopes both across and down this will allow me to get the bench level, many thanks
    In general practice I think most home garage floors do have a slope to them. Everyone's garage floor I've ever seen had a couple inches or more gradual slope towards the door and sometimes across towards the center and the garage floor is almost always a few inches lower than the house floor this is done mainly for drainage if the vehicles are parked wet or with snow on them

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Mar 1, 2018 at 01:50 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 3, 2018)

Thanks
    They might where you live Mate but not here in Australia floor levels are controlled by CCAA T49 CEMENT CONCRETE AND AGGREGATES AUSTRALIA 2003 which has a maximum allowance of slope or fall of 1/80th of the span. The floor in my workshop has a fall of 1 inch away from teh house and 1 inch towards the double roller door. It was either built before 1989 when the Standards were made Law or a dodgy one eyed contractor laid them.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie48 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 3, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie48 View Post
    They might where you live Mate but not here in Australia floor levels are controlled by CCAA T49 CEMENT CONCRETE AND AGGREGATES AUSTRALIA 2003 which has a maximum allowance of slope or fall of 1/80th of the span. The floor in my workshop has a fall of 1 inch away from teh house and 1 inch towards the double roller door. It was either built before 1989 when the Standards were made Law or a dodgy one eyed contractor laid them.
    Aussie48,

Please forgive my intrusion but I saw this post and gave me some intrigue thinking about the Aussie Code and US/IBC/... codes as we all have run into this issue. Not sure what size your garage is but basically, 2 car Garages in the States are ~10"x20'± and applying Aussie code that would give numbers of 1.5" at the opposite wall and 3" toward the double roller door. So it appears you are right about the builder but was under code in both directions based on typical US garage sizes.

Then I started thinking about your bench and Hardtail69's 1"-8tpi bolts for a workbench that may be only 4'-6' long X (?) deep for a mini-lathe? At 8tpi that is .125" per thread which may be a bit course for a slope of ~.1/ft or ~.05/ft depending on layout direction on a 4'-6' bench? I might recommend using a fine pitch 1"-12 or a 24mm-1.5 to better level your bench in both directions. Hopefully my math and assumptions are correct and make sense.

Also tried to find codes for US and international but all are vague and I believe on purpose. Depending on the owner/architect/developer and how foundations shift over time and the additional costs to back fill, grade, compact and properly support, and screed properly a sloping slab or 2 slabs of these sizes...would add several thousand $$ to a build. It would also depend on whether the house/door was attached to the end opposite the rollers or the side of the garage whether a slope was needed in 2 directions...A lot to it I think. My biggest issue is with not enough re-bar and cracking over time based on ground movement, uneven thickness or prep...although puddling is a PIA.

Hardtails design is quite a good one, IMHO also! As I said it was intriguing rabbit hole we have all struggled with.

Good luck with your build and would love to see some pictures of your Mini-lathe bench as quite a few of us here have them.

Cheers, PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

Aussie48 (Mar 3, 2018)

Thanks
    Close but no cigarette PJ, the code calls for 1/80 so a 20 foot long garage has a maximum slope of 1/4" towards the doors and 1/8" wall to wall, it is 10' x 20'.

This little lathe 7" x 12" is quite surprising quality wise, it has no Brand other than MX-180V. I chucked a 3/4" piece of precision ground 316 stainless and ran the dial indicator over it to get a run out of .00039" I don't think I will try and get it better than that. My old 39" between centres 17" swing over the bed (gap bed) the best I could get was .004" so was pleasantly surprised. Checked all surfaces when I stripped it down to clean the preservative off and there is no slop in any of the moving surfaces. All in all a very well made and put together machine from China.

The bench is quite tiny as the garage is full of one of my other hobbies 7 1/4" live steam locomotives, so the bench will only be 33 1/2" long x 34 1/2" tall and 14" deep, god I hate having to convert from Metric to Imperial, so it's around those measurements . The thread is coarse but should suit the job, have cut out all the 30 x 30 x 3 SHS pieces and now have man flu so am taking it easy for a while, will post pictures as the build progresses.

Dick

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie48 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 4, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Dick,

BTW welcome to Homemade Tools. Noticed you just joined last month. Lots of good people here, great ideas and projects.

Close but no cigarette PJ, the code calls for 1/80 so a 20 foot long garage has a maximum slope of 1/4" towards the doors and 1/8" wall to wall, it is 10' x 20'.
    I did spend a whole night in the smoking car talking with some real nice folks on the train from Melbourne to Adelaide in 2001 and went to my Grandsons 3rd BD party yesterday...nothing like a house full of 3-5yr old kids to rattle an old farts brain but, in this case I do believe I am correct. The units for Rise/run must be the same. "Gradient ratios are dimensionless, so as long as the units of rise/fall and run are the same, the ratio holds true." In your case you divided 20' by 80 and came up with .25 and 10'/80 to get .125 but those would be Feet not Inches. Staying Metric your shop is 3048mm X 6096mm and based on a 1:80 gradient your fall should be <38.1mm and 76.2mm, i.e. (<1.5" and 3"). Here is a link to a Paving expert website. The Quote above is from there and at the bottom of the page is a calculator and if you plug the Run and Gradient you get the numbers...me I did them with a spreadsheet of course.

So in my humble estimation your shop floor is well within spec. in both directions...hence the suggestion for the fine pitch threads. Also my assumption of your bench size was considerably larger than you are building so it adds to the point of fine adjustments....not that it can't be done with course thread and a deft hand.

This little lathe 7" x 12" is quite surprising quality wise, it has no Brand other than MX-180V. I chucked a 3/4" piece of precision ground 316 stainless and ran the dial indicator over it to get a run out of .00039" I don't think I will try and get it better than that. My old 39" between centres 17" swing over the bed (gap bed) the best I could get was .004" so was pleasantly surprised. Checked all surfaces when I stripped it down to clean the preservative off and there is no slop in any of the moving surfaces. All in all a very well made and put together machine from China.
    Man that is impressive for out of the crate cleanup to have 4 tenths RO...best I ever got with my used HFT is 3 thou. Paul Jones has done some impressive things with his Unimat and Sieg type mini to get those kinds of numbers. Had a look for that model as the number sounded familiar, like Optima or something but did find a MX-180D that looks pretty nice with a 600W motor.

Hope you feel better soon and looking forward to your future postings.

PJ
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Morning PJ,

Well it's 7:43 am Monday 5/03/2018 down here so depending where in the USA you are it is probably still Sunday. That is my machine but a later version I suspect it is really well made and runs like a dream, held out for this one as I didn't want plastic change gears as I could see heartache with those. All metal change gears, 16 TPI lead screw and will do all I need nowadays, for any big work I can use my Mates Lathe and Mill. Some very smart people on here and followed the Paul Jones link and found his Lathe Spider which will be the second project the first being a case length gauge for a 1921 310 Martini Cadet Rifle, I don't know why LEE don't make and market them.

I hate Metric with a passion especially the threads most of my trains are either BA or UNF which to a simple mind is a much nicer system.

Ah the days before the Politically Correct forced their values upon us, no smoking basically anywhere outdoors here now or at least within 4 metres of an outdoor Cafe or Govt building and certainly not in any train or station. I sometimes wonder what the younger generation will be allowed to do in years to come but end up with a headache.

All the best

Dick

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aussie48 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Mar 4, 2018), PJs (Mar 4, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Someone will come around and preach to them that their moca moca latte or what ever that bilge water stuff is they drink, is bad for them then they will have a whole new set of created self induced fears to worry about.Either that or hopefully they all just die of shear boredom my own gen X kids and Millennial grand kids included but I probably will be long gone by then
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Snow Frank S, that's that cold white wet stuff I believe, have heard about it and actually played in some when I visited Crater Mountain in Oregon in 2010, nasty cold wet stuff, none where I live Mate. Most garage floors here are laid as flat as possible usually with no more than 1/8" slope towards the doors. The workshop I had built at my last place, the floor was laser levelled to within .001" to accommodate my Lathe and Mill and a very nice job the concreter did no packing required to get both machine perfectly level.

PJ am in a quandry have cut a zillion pieces of 30 x 30 x3 SHS into what I presumed I would need to build my bench but am having flashes as to what I could incorporate into the plan that is in my head. Have welded the nuts into the bottom of the legs and apart from one managing to get a small piece of slag into the thread all good, The dremel fixed the offending slag very handy tools at times especially when you don't have the required size tap. Now should I have a full length draw, 2 half width drawers, 1 half width draw, or no draw at all, I tend to loose bits in drawers? Suggestions most welcome.

Dick

P.S. Must find a suitable Avatar

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Aussie48,

I saw no reference to "snow" in Franks response to the PC & millennials¿ Was that from a PM?

PJ am in a quandry have cut a zillion pieces of 30 x 30 x3 SHS into what I presumed I would need to build my bench but am having flashes as to what I could incorporate into the plan that is in my head. Have welded the nuts into the bottom of the legs and apart from one managing to get a small piece of slag into the thread all good, The dremel fixed the offending slag very handy tools at times especially when you don't have the required size tap. Now should I have a full length draw, 2 half width drawers, 1 half width draw, or no draw at all, I tend to loose bits in drawers? Suggestions most welcome.
    Not wanting to hijack Hardtail's thread any more than I already have, here are a few thoughts to answer your quandary. You could start a "Tools In Progress" posting and get lots of thoughts and interaction.

Personally I like a drawer or two with a shelf and a door to keep the chips out. I used a 4U rack drawer that I had on hand because it's metal and has good HD slides on it. My bench is a restructured Music Rack, (still a bit wobbly but fits my tiny space) and a solid top I salvaged from 2 end tables. Cheap, cheerful and recycled. For the drawer I built small wood bases with pins to hold my QCTP holders and spare bits and spare gears, a small box for tail stock stuff (Chucks, centers, etc.) and it even holds my tailstock when I not using it. Also keep my sundry collection of HS tools in a large end mill plastic tube/box. Below the Drawer I keep my cheapy machinist box for measuring and anything else I would generally use...and it keeps the chips out.

Personally I've been keeping an eye out for a recycled kitchen counter setup at the local Habitat Restore (recycle store) with drawer(s) and cabinets, then put or make a butcher block type top on it. If you do a search here on the forum you will find tons of benches for lathes and general. One of my favorites is LMMasterMariner 21 drawer for a larger lathe but it's made from wood...maybe too many drawers but Strong and Nicely built with retractable wheels.

PJ
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Franks reference to the snow is in post 11.

Had a brain fade the other day, hot about 113 F in the shade so didn't do any welding on the stand. But had a thought, it would be easy to fabricate a 4" bed extension to bolt on to the rear of the bed and that would get the tailstock out of the way and give me a bit over 14" between centres, what do you think? Also took the 3 jaw chuck of to clean inside and out and discovered that the backing plate is drilled for both 3 and 4 stud chucks so don't have to fit and adapter and loose a bit of the distance between centres.
    Have decided on a full length drawer, will make it out of what we call Melamine covered Chip Board as I have a sheet of 1/2 thick on hand and a bottom shelf made from the same material. With the quick change tool holders I am milling from 1/2 aluminium sheet some 60 degree slides for the holders to sit in and screwed to pieces of 1" x 1/2" Australian Redgum mounted on a board at the rear of the table in line with the tailstock. I picked up a metal drawer years back that has 5 sliding drawers in it stands aout 13" tall, 12" wide and around 13" deep that I used to keep my files in. Will fasten that to the bottom shelf and keep files and tool bits etc out of the way in that.

Dick

Thread Information