Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Hydraulic Handy Press

Thanks

mlochala's Tools

Hydraulic Handy Press

I know there are probably way too many hydraulic presses already shared here, but here's one more. I have built several hydraulic presses over the years, most bigger than this and a couple smaller. But, this press I recently built is my favorite of them all. It's just perfect for probably 90% of the work I need to do and it's very adaptable.

I built it so that I can do a wide variety of jobs with it. It's large enough to do most of what I need, but small enough to use on my work bench. It's made of thick wall materials and I normally use a 12T bottle jack, though I have used a 20T version.

It works opposite from most small presses, meaning the bottle jack is on bottom and pushes the press plate upwards to the anvil. However, it can easily be modified to work like a conventional press, if need be. The top of the press has removable adapter plates so that I can make and use a wide variety of different heads for different jobs. For instance, the "normal" plate has a 1" nut welded to it so that I can use standard 1" bolts as anvils for pressing bearings, u-joints, etc. Then, I also have a 1/2" drill chuck that is attached to a short 1" bolt so that I can use it to hold press punches for pressing out pins, roller pins, stubborn bolts, etc. Finally, I have another adapter plate with a bending brake blade so that I can use it with a bending brake base for forming metal stock. At any time I need to expand its capability, all I have to do is make another adapter plate for whatever function I desire.

I'm happy with it and I thought I would share for your benefit as well. Enjoy!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic Handy Press-handy-press-1.jpg   Hydraulic Handy Press-handy-press-3.jpg   Hydraulic Handy Press-handy-press-4.jpg   Hydraulic Handy Press-handy-press-5.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mlochala For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Apr 23, 2020), Crusty (May 2, 2020), high-side (Apr 22, 2020), Jerry6389 (Apr 22, 2020), Jon (Apr 23, 2020), Moby Duck (Apr 22, 2020), n9dug (Apr 23, 2020), Tule (Apr 23, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks mlochala! We've added your Hydraulic Press to our Brakes and Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: mlochala's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    I'm building a bearing press right now and I'm going to adopt your idea of a Jacobs chuck mount for driving pins. I probably do that more than pressing bearings.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
    I'm building a bearing press right now and I'm going to adopt your idea of a Jacobs chuck mount for driving pins. I probably do that more than pressing bearings.
    The idea occurred to me when I decided to do some upgrade work to my turkey gun. I don't like driving pins out of a gun with a hammer.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information