Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic Press with bottle jack upside down - easy conversion

Thanks

garage nut's Tools

Hydraulic Press with bottle jack upside down - easy conversion

Have been using the bottle jack in the conventional orientation for "Pressing" matters. (No pun intended), but always wanted to have it like a commercial press.

Been reading a lot about converting a bottle jack to work upside down, but just all seemed like too much work and messy..

So took from every post what made sense and combines it.

Best option too create a reservoir tank filling point was to use the original jack filling hole. First problem my Chinese jack had no tread, just a rubber grommet.

Hydraulic Press with bottle jack upside down - easy conversion-no-thread.jpg

Hydraulic Press with bottle jack upside down - easy conversion-tail-swag.jpg

So i found a M8 fine thread nut and welded it over the existing hole to allow a 8mm pipe connector to be screwed in. Took my time welding as all the oil was still inside the jack. I extended the jack fully to ensure as little as possible oil in the outer reservoir of the jack.

Then machined an 14mm bolt to become the connector in my jam jar oil reservoir.

Hydraulic Press with bottle jack upside down - easy conversion-jam-jar-connector.jpg

Keeping the Jack on its side I primed it untill there was no more air in its system.

the jack could then bu turned upside down and it works. No stripping, no mess and the jack can be converted back to normal easily.

Now finally added the springs to pull back the ram. Job done, now for a coat of paint and some M12 Hi Tensile bolts as adjuster pins.

Hydraulic Press with bottle jack upside down - easy conversion-hyd-press.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to garage nut For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Jun 5, 2018), Jon (Jun 8, 2018), Seedtick (Jun 3, 2018), volodar (Jun 4, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 507 Posts

Tuomas's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by garage nut View Post
    Have been using the bottle jack in the conventional orientation for "Pressing" matters. (No pun intended), but always wanted to have it like a commercial press.

Been reading a lot about converting a bottle jack to work upside down, but just all seemed like too much work and messy..

So took from every post what made sense and combines it.

Best option too create a reservoir tank filling point was to use the original jack filling hole. First problem my Chinese jack had no tread, just a rubber grommet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No thread.jpg 
Views:	656 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	24072

Name:	Tail swag.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	24073

So i found a M8 fine thread nut and welded it over the existing hole to allow a 8mm pipe connector to be screwed in. Took my time welding as all the oil was still inside the jack. I extended the jack fully to ensure as little as possible oil in the outer reservoir of the jack.

Then machined an 14mm bolt to become the connector in my jam jar oil reservoir.

Name:	Jam jar connector.jpg 
Views:	456 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	24074

Keeping the Jack on its side I primed it untill there was no more air in its system.

the jack could then bu turned upside down and it works. No stripping, no mess and the jack can be converted back to normal easily.

Now finally added the springs to pull back the ram. Job done, now for a coat of paint and some M12 Hi Tensile bolts as adjuster pins.

Name:	hyd press.jpg 
Views:	1722 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	24071
    So. You did exactly the same like i did:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tuomas For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Jun 5, 2018), PJs (Jun 24, 2018)

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    Great video and great press. Wish I had seen it earlier. Some very interesting ideas. My post is more focused on the easy convertion. I did not even bleed it like you did. I merly turned it on its side when pushing rhe ram back. This made it suck the oul from my reservoir. Amd what to do if you do nor have a treaded filler but in essence you right

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks garage nut! We've added your Upside Down Bottle Jack Modification to our Brakes and Presses category,
    as well as to your builder page: garage nut's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    Is there a benefit to using the jack this way?

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    A question my "technical" WhatApp group also asked me when I posted my progress.

I had the frame made and the jack the convectional way like you would use it every day, but found it almost impossible to single handed balance a socket, a bearing and the steering knuckle all on the ram of a bottle jack and then align this all while operating the jack.

With the first threads I found where the guys stripped the jack and add longer pick up pipes and drill through the base and fit nipples I was going to rather keep on battling, but then I found this idea on YouTube and had nothing to loose as the jack can easily be converted to normal if it was not working.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    That makes sense. I guess I just imagined you would have attached the jack by the ram and used the base of the jack for applying pressure, perhaps with an add on to make centering easier.

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    I tried to get a base moving up inside my press’s frame. You will see my uprights are angle iron welded to the base in such a way it forms a box for a base to go up, but it did not work. The conversion was so easy i just gave up on that idea

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    Fair enough, I guess you either have the trouble of converting the jack or the trouble of making some kid of base. Swings and roundabouts lol.

Good looking setup anyway

Thanks

garage nut's Tools
    Manufactured a nice SS reservoir tank using 50mm SS pipe with 2 drop outs (from the rod holders for my boat) welded in top and bottom. My jam jar leaked on the jam jar lid treads. Also modified the pressure release screw to be hand operated and not needing the jack handle to release pressure. Will post pics tomorrow

Thread Information