Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I need advice on lathe purchase

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    DO a search in yahoo groups for south-bend lathes it is a very active group with many gurus in there who love to assist anyone with their SB's
    You will develop an attachment to your 9a like nothing you have ever owned before. Congrats and good luck

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

hardtail69's Tools

south bend 9a update

Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    DO a search in yahoo groups for south-bend lathes it is a very active group with many gurus in there who love to assist anyone with their SB's
    You will develop an attachment to your 9a like nothing you have ever owned before. Congrats and good luck
    You are correct. It has been about a year now now since i received the lathe and I have since taken it apart piece by piece. Every part was separated from every other part. A complete tear-down to the very gears and screws. I had to replace a few parts, repair several parts, and generally clean and repaint every part in it. I got it all back together and have used it every day since. The really great thing about all of it was now that I have it done, I know every thing about it, its strengths and its weaknesses.
    I love this machine, but I see it's limitations as well. I will never sell it. Even if I do get a bigger and better one. It was given to me and I shall give it to someone else that will take care of it as I have. But that's not going to happen anytime soon. This is how she looks now. not as clean and pretty as when I first got her painted because I have been using her daily for several months, but she works hard and does what I need. The second and third pics are just the area set up I use. We are crammed into a two car garage with a full blown metal shop in there, including cutting, bending, and welding press, lathe, drill presses, sanders, grinders, etc. We hope to be moving in a couple of weeks to a facility ... keep your fingers crossed, I know I am.
    I need advice on  lathe purchase-p1040032.jpgI need advice on  lathe purchase-p1040033.jpgI need advice on  lathe purchase-p1040034.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by hardtail69; Apr 25, 2016 at 01:43 PM.

Thread Information