Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Imperial threads on a Metric lathe.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, Ray.

Tell your students that the programs demonstrate why they should learn math. They show the type of real world problems that can be solved with math - especially so in the machine shop.
    Not just for students Marv, your programs are a great help to some of us older farts who have lost a lot of our math skills due to too many years of not using them frequently enough.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    I would be flattered to have you quote that article anywhere you like.
    /SNIP/
    I'd be interested to see any responses to it. A Meccano forum probably has many British members and, considering the UK's reluctance to convert to metric, I would expect some spectacularly illogical arguments against doing so. It would provide an interesting counterpoint to the spectacularly illogical Usonian arguments I've encountered.
    Thanks, Marv - appreciated.
    OT: -Haven't gotten around to that just yet, as I've been busy prepping for yet another year at my Uni,
    but also lacking the head of yours, I got myself a Casio FX-991EX "prosthetic math brain" for under 30 bucks.
    Has taken me quite some time to learn/ use all of it's bells and whistles.

Please don't have any great expectations on the levels of logic regarding the units among the Meccanoists though,
    remember their Kingdom isn't United any more, due to the Brexit thing, their Parliament effectively shortcircuited.
    "Fake news" isn't something new over there - the tabloids have been driving opinion for decades...
    In wanting less Brussels/ EU government - they might get "self-sufficiency á la Pyongyang Light".
    Some who voted for "less immigrants" are actually amazed that in two months, they have to apply and pay for visas going abroad.

2 cents rant - pardon me.
    Cheers
    Johan

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    I have to say, I really like the hand-cranked lathe, great for cutting threads up to a shoulder and when something is very delicate.

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by editor@glue-it.com View Post
    I have to say, I really like the hand-cranked lathe, great for cutting threads up to a shoulder and when something is very delicate.
    These days I mostly start from the shoulder, with an inside threading tool upside down in the tool post and run the lathe & lead screw in reverse: "The Lo-Anx way of turning to a shoulder".
    The hand crank is still useful for toolpost grinding or milling threads with the TPMDGM:
    DIYSwede's TPMDGM: A Flip-Flop ToolPostMiniDriil/Mill/Grinder for a 7x14" lathe

Cheers
    Johan

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by editor@glue-it.com View Post
    The hand crank has another important use...

If your lathe uses screw-on chucks and you don't lubricate the threads before each mounting, it may be difficult to unthread later. (This is especially true if you don't change chucks frequently.) The temptation is to engage the back gears without removing the coupling pin, thus locking the rotation of the spindle. Then, when torque is applied to the chuck, often with a wrench, the back gears take all the force and you risk breaking a tooth or two.

A better procedure is to block the rotation of the chuck with a wooden block and use the crank to unscrew the spindle from the now fixed chuck.

There are numerous ways to build a crank; here's how I built mine...

Lathe hand crank

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information