Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools

Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill

I recently purchased a 3" Precision Milling Vise from LMS. (No affiliation, just a customer.) This vise is a "Kurt-style" vise with a removable swivel base. Like a lot of Chinese manufactured items, there were quality control and other small issues.

I identified three areas where I felt the need to work on this vise to better suit my application. Here is a summary followed by the details and pictures.

First, the quality of the cast vise wrench is poor, and it did not fit the hex on the vise screw well at all. To their credit, LMS is arranging a replacement wrench for me. I decided to modify the original anyway.

Second, the vise comes with a pair of alignment blocks to easily align the vise (or the swivel base) with the T-slots in the mill table. The blocks provided, along with the machined mounting grooves on the bottoms, are for T-slots that are 14mm wide. The T-slots on my milling table are 12mm wide.

Third, I previously made a set of adjustable vise stops (https://www.homemadetools.net/homema...le-vise-stop-3) for my screwless vise and wanted to be able to use these with the new vise. I decided to make an adapter that can be easily attached without modifying the vise.

------------

The Wrench

This is a picture of the inside of the "socket" end of the wrench. This picture taken after I used a hand file to open it up to better fit the hex on the screw. It still did not fit well.

Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-handle-1.jpg

I have an inexpensive set of HF sockets, so I selected the correct size and mounted it in the handle. I disassembled the handle and mounted the end in the vise on my mini mill. I milled and then bored out a gentle press fit for the socket. I did not want to make it a tight press fit for fear of cracking the casting. I pressed it in and then reassembled the handle.

Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-handle-2.jpg Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-handle-3.jpg Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-handle-4.jpg

Fits and works perfectly. If the socket comes loose in the future, I'll drill a cross-hole and pin it in place.

------------

The Alignment Blocks

The alignment blocks and corresponding mounting grooves on the bottoms of the vise and base are 14mm wide. They are probably sized for a bench-top mill, rather than a mini-mill which has 12mm T-slots. I decided to make a pair of step-down blocks. They are 14mm wide where they fit the mounting groove, and 12mm wide where they fit into the T-slot on the mini-mill table. I made them from aluminum to prevent damage to the table.

Closeup pictures of the blocks. One of the original blocks (black) is in the background.

Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-blocks-1.jpg Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-blocks-2.jpg

Pictures of the blocks installed on the bottom of the vise.

Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-blocks-3.jpg Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-blocks-5.jpg

Pictures of the vise installed on the mill table.

Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-blocks-4.jpg Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-blocks-6.jpg Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-blocks-7.jpg

Not quite sure how to secure the vise to the table when oriented as in the last picture. The mounting slots in the base of the vise are too wide to use the table T-slots. I could use regular T-slot clamps on the ends of the base of the vise... Any other suggestions?

------------

Adjustable Vise Stops

Here are a couple pictures of the Adjustable Vise Stop Adapter. It is mounted to the vise using the alternate mounting holes for the fixed jaw. It provides threaded holes in approximately the same locations as the mounting holes on my sides of my screwless vise.

Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-stop-mount-1.jpg Improving Vise and Adapting to Mini Mill-stop-mount-2.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dgbreggin For This Useful Post:

Inner (Jan 4, 2023), Jon (Jan 3, 2023), nova_robotics (Jan 3, 2023), Skun Knuckles (Jan 4, 2023), winmac (Jan 3, 2023)

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    Yeh, get a smaller vise, it'll fit the S-M-A-L-L mill. :-)

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    Yeh, get a smaller vise, it'll fit the S-M-A-L-L mill. :-)
    Serious reply: If you know of a smaller Kurt-style vise, I'd appreciate a link.

Not-so-serious reply: It is not the size of the tool, but how it is used. (Or so I have heard...)

Thanks

carl blum's Tools

Small Vises

Hi: I have 4" and 5" Kurt knock off vises. I mostly use the 4" vise. The 6" must be a monster to lift.

These places have 3" and 4" vises:

CDCO Machinery Corp.

https://www.littlemachineshop.com/pr...1755&category=

https://www.wttool.com/rdx-precision...g-machine-vise

And here are 3" vises:

https://www.victornet.com/detail/VS-LTV3.html

https://www.wttool.com/rdx-3-18-precision-milling-machine-swivel-vise

Last edited by carl blum; Jan 4, 2023 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Additional coments

Supporting Member
    Thanks

dgbreggin's Tools
    Carl:

Thanks for the links.

The vise I have is a 3" version. This one:
    https://www.littlemachineshop.com/pr...ProductID=2500

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks dgbreggin! We've added your Vise Improvements to our Vises category,