Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This is an incredible shop space

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools

This is an incredible shop space

This is an incredible shop space
    I wasn't kidding in the video this is only about 5% of the whole campus in this building is only phase one of three or four
    Check the video out let me know if you see something that we might be able to improve on or other ideas that we can use that would be great
    When the shop is more complete I will do an update video
    Ray
    Video link

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shopandmath For This Useful Post:

asterix (Dec 23, 2022), chainsawd (Dec 22, 2022), EnginePaul (Dec 23, 2022)

Thanks

greenie's Tools
    So what happened to you lot just buying 'made in Usa' crap, eh ?

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to greenie For This Useful Post:

shopandmath (Dec 23, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    First thing I noticed is there is no dust collection at the pedistal grinder area. You can see all the crap on the floor.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I didn't notice any tool and cutter grinders in the milling machine area, just pedestal grinders in the manual lathe area. additionally, there doesn't seem to be any surface or centerless grinders perhaps these machines are not part of your program or have not been installed as of this stage in the shop set up. Both tooling cutter grinders and surface or centerless grinders can be entire standalone course in themselves, but a very important aspect of becoming even an advanced apprentice machinist.
    As has already been mentioned the lack of an exhaust or dust collection systems at the pedestal grinders seems like a must have plus emergency eyewash kiosks located in several strategic places, Just because everyone is required to wear eye protection will not negate the fact that even the best eye protection can fail when there are chips and or grinding dust to be dealt with this hold true even when there are dust collection systems installed,
    Other that those few things I mentioned it looks to be a well thought out floor plan
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools
    Unfortunately my input only goes as far as the type of machines (grinder -mill) that we need and it's only a suggestion point
    Other people have control over those decisions

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools
    There are no dust extraction points on the grinder Due to a few reasons there is a massive air exchange system to purify the air in the actual room
    The pedestal grinders are only used for two classes at the beginning of the semester so 90% of the time they're not used
    There needs to be Better sign in sign out system (that we're working on) To track machine use per student
    There is no excuse for the mess on the floor that should have been taken care of during cleanup
    With a large number of students tracking everything from clean up to sign in to sign out to safety is almost like juggling cats

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools
    Hi frank
    The tool cutter grinders are in the bench handtools area on the upper mezzanine
    We currently have two internal cylindrical external grinders that we brought from our move in the next couple of days hopefully before school starts up again over the holidays we're getting a brand new cylindrical internal external grinder.
    in the video it would have been extremely difficult to see as you walk down the lathe I'll on the far right by the window is where they are near the bandsaws and radial arm drill that section wasn't highlighted in the video
    Eyewash stations that's a good one
    We do have some and we do have the hard piped fountain style but it wasn't highlighted in the video
    Any incidences that happen in the shop we report to security and they have a team that come down that are fully equipped to handle all emergency situations or accidental
    I had an incident that happened last year or a student tool broke and it made a small cut under his left eye I think I notified security and told him it was a small cut but it was close to his eye and I wanted it fully documented in case something happened
    This was the first time that I've ever seen this style of response when the team arrived Literally in seconds One of the guards even had a defibrillator

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shopandmath For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 23, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by shopandmath View Post
    Hi frank

Eyewash stations that's a good one
    We do have some and we do have the hard piped fountain style but it wasn't highlighted in the video
    Any incidences that happen in the shop we report to security and they have a team that come down that are fully equipped to handle all emergency situations or accidental
    I had an incident that happened last year or a student tool broke and it made a small cut under his left eye I think I notified security and told him it was a small cut but it was close to his eye and I wanted it fully documented in case something happened
    This was the first time that I've ever seen this style of response when the team arrived Literally in seconds One of the guards even had a defibrillator
    That's reassuring, having dealt with students and apprentices of many levels of expertise throughout the years I found the rawest newest most inexperienced to have been the most willing to follow the rules, that is if they possess the capacity to understand the potential dangers without having to experience them first. You just have to expand their attention span long enough to implant the effects of the causes first. The ones who lack the ability to focus their attention long enough to learn a few basics, generally will also be lacking in the abilities to put forth any serious effort to completing their studies and will soon wash themselves out of the programs. It's those who bring with them some pre learned skills without having learned proper safety measures and those who are further along in the various aspects of a program who will often times try to ignore or push the boundaries. Sadly, the worst will be students who are older with a few to many years of machine shop experience who are attempting to upgrade their skill sets to newer technologies who may be the most difficult to retrain. Say for instance someone who had worked for many years in a high production facility where the main focus were production quotas at any cost. Maybe they were accustomed to hogging off the bulk of material as fast as reasonably possible then making a single final clean up pass to fit a go-no go template on a single spindle mechanical machine but now they are wanting to expand their knowledge to a highspeed multi spindle machine with automatic multiple tool change selections the learning curve can get expensive before they even realize what they have done. The instructors will have their hands full with them. Even with 55+ years of shop experience all of it self-taught for the most part there are many machines I would find myself no more qualified to operate than I would be at trying to land one of the retired space shuttles
    Last edited by Frank S; Dec 23, 2022 at 08:07 AM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    That's reassuring, having dealt with students and apprentices of many levels of expertise throughout the years I found the rawest newest most inexperienced to have been the most willing to follow the rules, that is if they possess the capacity to understand the potential dangers without having to experience them first. You just have to expand their attention span long enough to implant the effects of the causes first. The ones who lack the ability to focus their attention long enough to learn a few basics, generally will also be lacking in the abilities to put forth any serious effort to completing their studies and will soon wash themselves out of the programs. It's those who bring with them some pre learned skills without having learned proper safety measures and those who are further along in the various aspects of a program who will often times try to ignore or push the boundaries. Sadly, the worst will be students who are older with a few to many years of machine shop experience who are attempting to upgrade their skill sets to newer technologies who may be the most difficult to retrain. Say for instance someone who had worked for many years in a high production facility where the main focus were production quotas at any cost. Maybe they were accustomed to hogging off the bulk of material as fast as reasonably possible then making a single final clean up pass to fit a go-no go template on a single spindle mechanical machine but now they are wanting to expand their knowledge to a highspeed multi spindle machine with automatic multiple tool change selections the learning curve can get expensive before they even realize what they have done. The instructors will have their hands full with them. Even with 55+ years of shop experience all of it self-taught for the most part there are many machines I would find myself no more qualified to operate than I would be at trying to land one of the retired space shuttles

This is where I remember the graphic pictures of injuries being shown to us to impart the importance of safety and procedures. It seemed to have imprinted pretty good on my then young brain. Don't know if they still show that kind of stuff anymore as it may no longer be "PC", but people need to know what can happen when you do not pay attention. Reinforcing the basics.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to odd one For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Dec 23, 2022), shopandmath (Dec 23, 2022)

Thanks

shopandmath's Tools
    Hi frank
    All of those types of students aren't really that big of a deal it's the snowflakes that get me
    There are a lot fewer of them in the apprenticeship area but they still seem to make an appearance every now and then
    In the Canadian education system there is a huge amount of tolerance
    and I will say no more on the subject
    Thanks for the conversation have yourself and your family a Merry Christmas as well
    ray

Thread Information