Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Indexable insert types - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,806 Times in 9,914 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Dimitris Polychronis (Sep 27, 2022), Duke_of_URL (Sep 27, 2022), Improvised DIY (Oct 2, 2022), johncg (Oct 3, 2022), nova_robotics (Sep 26, 2022), odd one (Sep 27, 2022), Tule (Sep 27, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    This is like 0.1% of the damn things. Trying to match carbides to tooling is a giant pain. I use APMT/APKT inserts for face milling. AG60 and DCMT for threading. GTN and MGMN for parting. CCMTs for general purpose machining, and RPMT for manual machining on the lathe (great surface finish). And a ton more I'm forgetting. The only ones I have that are on the above chart are TCMT.

And nothing is a standard, only a suggestion. Every manufacturer puts their own twist on each insert. You can buy five different APKT inserts from five different manufacturers and they'll all be completely different.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Sep 26, 2022)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    edit . . . And nothing is a standard, only a suggestion. Every manufacturer puts their own twist on each insert. You can buy five different APKT inserts from five different manufacturers and they'll all be completely different.
    Well yes and no. There are both ANSI and ISO standards and while the geometry is defined, the variability is so great it appears to be chaotic. Note that this article was written by a PhD! So yes . . .

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Well yes and no. There are both ANSI and ISO standards and while the geometry is defined, the variability is so great it appears to be chaotic. Note that this article was written by a PhD! So yes . . .
    Yes, I know. That's only the geometry that allows an insert to fit into a holder. All of the details such as cutting edges, chip breaker design (if it exists), carbide and coating are entirely up to the manufacturer and so highly variable that inserts from different manufacturers can't even be considered the same tool. For example, one insert will cut stainless and have great tool life, while another will shatter almost instantly or leave terrible surface finish.

Also I put almost zero weight on someone having a PhD. I've worked with so many staggeringly unintelligent PhDs in the last 10 years that I basically consider it a red flag at this point. I know two PhDs who I respect as intelligent human beings. I know 20-25 who I wouldn't trust to tie a pair of shoelaces.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

frankenmech (Sep 28, 2022), piper184 (Oct 2, 2022)

Supporting Member Improvised DIY's Avatar
    Thanks

Improvised DIY's Tools
    Is there any printable charts available for a rookie like me?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Improvised DIY For This Useful Post:

thadrodgers (Oct 2, 2022)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    I kind of like the graphics on this one but it is only one manufacturer and it is limited. As noted above they all tweak it a bit and there is no agreement on carbide grades and coatings. One distinction is interrupted cuts (like milling) or constant force (like turning). Many seem to offer both grades. If you have a sleep disorder try Kyocera's catalog! :-)
    Last edited by Saltfever; Oct 2, 2022 at 01:21 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    I kind of like the graphics on this one but it is only one manufacturer and it is limited. As noted above they all tweak it a bit and there is no agreement on carbide grades and coatings. One distinction is interrupted cuts (like milling) or constant force (like turning). Many seem to offer both grades. If you have a sleep disorder try Kyocera's catalog! :-)
    And Kyocera is a primer for Iscar and Kennametal.........
    I think the variety of inserts configurations chart presented by Altair in Post *1 is a good starting point. You'll soon notice holes in the patterns displayed for such as VNMG's and variety of point angles, or the 6-sided triangle WNMG's.
    One trick identifying inscribed circles hides in your 'tool club' drill gauge.
    I have few inserts, arranged in same chronological order as insert catalog. Doesn't matter which one or brand, just a simple means of reference. I use form ground HSS or cemented tools 90% of the time, 60° & ACME threads, O-rings, necking & grooving, chamfers, fillets & radii, corner reliefs etc. Inserts don't get attractive unless trepanning, deep parting, or running exotic materials.

None the less, insert designers are clearly evil spawn of printer cartridge designers.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 6, 2022 at 03:13 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Improvised DIY (Oct 7, 2022)

Thread Information