Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Indexing plate for Unimat SL lathe handles 40, 50, and 60 divisions

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Indexing plate for Unimat SL lathe handles 40, 50, and 60 divisions

Indexing plate for Unimat SL lathe can index 40, 50, and 60 divisions. Design is custom made for this lathe and another set also attaches to the milling head (see my other post "Modifications and Improvements to a Unimat SL 1000 Lathe" at Homemade Lathe Modifications) . The retractable detent can be locked in the up or down position.

The indexing plate was purchased from Nick Carter and is the Carter Index Plate Kit used for the Taig Microlathe II and I adapted it to the Unimat. I made two adapters from 12L14 steel for attaching the index plate. These are for the lathe headstock and the vertical milling head.

The version for the milling head was improved by eliminating a spindle locking set screw and using the existing pulley lock nut to secure the adapter to the spindle. In addition the headstock and milling head pulley hubs were machined to size before fitting the adapters to ensure concentric alignment with each spindle. The indexing plate is approximately 4.1" in diameter and 0.125" thick. The index detent pin extension arms each have a locking 8-32 set screw with a brass insert which prevents damage to the 1/4-20 detent treads (Winco part 3TLR1 1/4-20 steel lock-out plunger).

More photos and information about the Unimat modifications can be seen at http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...00-lathe-10111 .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Indexing plate for Unimat SL lathe handles 40, 50, and 60 divisions-finishing-indexing-plate-adapter-close-fit-plate-id.jpg   Indexing plate for Unimat SL lathe handles 40, 50, and 60 divisions-indexing-plate-installed-unimat-headstock.jpg   Indexing plate for Unimat SL lathe handles 40, 50, and 60 divisions-indexing-plate-attached-unimat-pulley.jpg   Indexing plate for Unimat SL lathe handles 40, 50, and 60 divisions-boring-indexing-plate-adapter-unimat-lathe-headstock.jpg   Indexing plate for Unimat SL lathe handles 40, 50, and 60 divisions-adjustable-detent-unimat-iindexing-plate.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Oct 9, 2017 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Missing details to indexing detent

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

Jon (Sep 27, 2014), kbalch (May 18, 2015), nevadablue (Sep 18, 2015)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,619 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Thanks Paul Jones! I've added your Indexing Plate to our Lathes category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones's Homemade Tools.

It's also been posted to our Facebook page: Paul Jones's Indexing Plate on Facebook, and our Twitter: Paul Jones's Indexing Plate on Twitter.

Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,258 Times in 9,724 Posts
    Adapting a Taig tooling to a Unimat. Great job Paul.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 21, 2018)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools

More photos of the Taig indexing plate adapted to the Unimat milling head

Thanks Altair

I have a few more photos of the Taig index plate adapted to the Unimat SL 1000 lathe and my milling head modifications in some of the photos at this link http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/m...00-lathe-10111. The previous photos were for the lathe and these are for the milling head with the same type of adaptations. I also included a photo of the setscrew used to hold the lockabe detent device to the adjustable indexing arms. The 8-32 set screw has a brass insert which prevents damage to the 1/4-20 detent treads (Winco part 3TLR1 1/4-20 steel lock-out plunger).

Regards,

Paul Jones
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Mar 21, 2018 at 08:32 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

nevadablue (Sep 18, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,258 Times in 9,724 Posts
    Excellent job Paul. Very versatile. Thanks for the update.

Al

Thanks
    Very nice work and now I have a design to add an indexing head to my Unimat DB. Thanks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colin John For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (May 21, 2015)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Colin,
    Yes, this design has proven to be very useful. Also the lathe 1" square by 6" long riser blocks with 6-32 threaded holes provide a place to attach the swing arm holding the retractable detent. Make sure you add a slight taper to the detent pin so it self-centers into the index plate holes.
    Thank you, Paul Jones

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information