Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Inverse Lantern Chuck

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools

Inverse Lantern Chuck

I say Inverse rather than internal or inverted since the part than needed clamping was being contrary and defying every other reasonable means to hold the pieces.
    My mechanic neighbor had a hose made up somewhere and the guy that installed the fittings said I think these are the same as the ones on the bad hose. Ha, ha, famous last words Well at least he had the diameter and the O ring sized correctly but the height of the split flange fitting he installed were different not being the same brand of fitting.
    Billy brings me the flange clamps for me to machine .030" off if them. I said just a minute I'll check my stock, I pulled out 5 packages of flange clamps with the4 correct height but the wrong hole centers by a 1/16 of an inch. leaving no choice but to machine the ones he had to fit the new hose end.
    I started out I thought I could clamp them down to the mill table and just mill off the face of the flange but there were only 2 machined surfaces on the parts the face and the depth of the bore so 86 that idea I then thought of the way lantern chucks hold things only I needed to hold the face of the counter bore from the inside so I could machine the flange face I also felt I wanted another machined surface to clamp on to so I flipped the flanges over on the mill table clamped them face down and made a light cut on the heal or the bump in between the bolt holes.
    To make the chuck I used a much larger reusable hose end fitting and machined it down to size.
    Inverse Lantern Chuck-img_20220403_093910ffc.jpg
    Inverse Lantern Chuck-img_20220403_102445ilc.jpg

Inverse Lantern Chuck-img_20220403_105724ilc.jpg
    I parted off part of the outer fitting nut then machined it down to what I needed
    Inverse Lantern Chuck-img_20220403_110202ilc.jpg
    I then cut 2 3/8" coupling nuts in half and welded the 4 pieces to the flats of the outer nut now I could tighten the nut to the flats I machined on the humps I tightened a hose clamp around the perimeter of the flange clamps to serve as a fly off prevention band, adjusted the 4 bolts to align the edges of the 2 pieces measuring off of the face of the chuck I then made several light cuts until I had removed the required amount from the flanges

Inverse Lantern Chuck-img_20220403_122401ilc.jpg

Inverse Lantern Chuck-img_20220403_124114ilc.jpg

Inverse Lantern Chuck-img_20220403_124120ilc.jpg
    And this is why I named it an Inverse lantern chuck. If anybody knows a better name for it I'll gladly adopt the new name
    Inverse Lantern Chuck-img_20220403_171016-ilc.jpg
    Before and after of the chuck
    Inverse Lantern Chuck-img_20220403_171040ilc.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Frank S; Apr 3, 2022 at 04:21 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 5, 2022), emu roo (Apr 5, 2022), hemmjo (Apr 4, 2022), Jon (Apr 3, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Apr 10, 2022), neilg4dbn (Apr 4, 2022), NortonDommi (Apr 4, 2022), piper184 (Apr 5, 2022), Sleykin (Apr 4, 2022), sossol (Apr 4, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Apr 4, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Inverse Lantern Chuck to our Workholding category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Gotta do what ya gotta do!!

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    "and the guy that installed the fittings said I think these are the same as the ones on the bad hose." We all know what thought thought - Thought thought he farted but he had s&%t himself.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Apr 4, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by NortonDommi View Post
    "and the guy that installed the fittings said I think these are the same as the ones on the bad hose." We all know what thought thought - Thought thought he farted but he had s&%t himself.
    One of the problems is there are so many different types, brands, sizes, as well as pressure ratings, for fittings, and number of braided wire layers to hoses that it is nearly impossible for any single supply house to stock everything. These smaller hose shops out here in the small towns can only afford to stock the most popular sizes used by the ag industry. And even then it is difficult.
    I told Billy he should stamp -.030 on the sides of the clamps incase the customer ever needs to replace the hose again.
    I've ran into the reverse of this in the past where a mechanic had replaced the Caterpillar clamps with Parker brand clamps which are, you guessed it .030" different in fit up when this happens the clamps will not stay tight or the pressure will break the bolts over time because they are stressed at a slight angle under the head. My field fix solution was to make .030 shims since I didn't have and couldn't get the clamps without leaving the job sight and making a 4 hour trip in hopes the cat house had the correct ones in stock
    Last edited by Frank S; Apr 4, 2022 at 07:17 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Up here in the Antipodes I look with envy upon the selection of goods on offer in America and the prices! Unreal to me so I know about parts in rural areas as most of my mates live far from 'civilisation'.
    I trust nothing when it comes to parts and measure six ways to Sunday and back again.

Example a friend bought a track adjuster plug for his digger a couple of weeks ago as the ball was stuck and it was leaking grease. Luckily I have trained him well because he thought the new one felt wrong when he went to screw it in. It was Metric thread not UNF and was supplied by the NZ franchise dealer. Luckily I was able to repair the original.

Note* We are officially Metric but have a healthy mix of Metric and Imperial so it is second nature to carry a 6-inch scale, a verynear and some thread gauges just to be sure be sure.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by NortonDommi; Apr 4, 2022 at 08:42 PM.

Thread Information