Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Iro3d 3d selective powder deposition making shell sand casting molds

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Elizabeth Greene's Tools

Iro3d 3d selective powder deposition making shell sand casting molds

I have no creative or commercial interest in this; I just think it's cool.

I've been following a guy for a while that built (and sells) a new type of 3d printer that prints metal powders that can be sintered into finished parts. He just released a video of the same printer "printing" in shell sand to make molds for casting. Then those molds are baked in a kiln to set the binder, the support sand is poured out, and they use the mold for a stainless steel finished casting.

I've linked the video down below, but the video is super slow so I'll give you a spoiler first. This part is as cast, stainless steel, using a one-piece mold made by the process mentioned above. Notice the center section is hollow and the high aspect ratio on the spools. It's pretty impressive.

Iro3d 3d selective powder deposition making shell sand casting molds-cast.png

Here's the video.

The printer was under $5k in 2018. They don't list pricing now, but I assume it's similar.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Elizabeth Greene For This Useful Post:

ductape (Feb 17, 2023), Jon (Feb 16, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Feb 17, 2023), nova_robotics (Feb 17, 2023), odd one (Feb 17, 2023)

Thread Information