Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Johammer J1 electric motorcycle - photos

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,712 Times in 9,874 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Dec 20, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,144 Times in 617 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    I'm glad someone is trying something new, but holy moly that thing would be a beast to drive. It uses a hub motor in the rear, so you've got probably 30-40 lbs of unsprung mass back there which would make it very squirrely. And I'm not entirely sure how that front wheel is supposed to turn. Might make for some 37 point turns in driveways. Also it looks like a snail.

A buddy of mine owns an F-Zero. I haven't driven it but he says it's pretty good. That's a more traditional take on motorcycle electrification. He's dumped it a few times on grass because the instant torque of the electric motor is a bit hard to handle.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    For me the problem with electric is the waste generated by the used up batteries. And the fact you still have to make the power, generate the electricity, someplace. The grid is already way over loaded, adding all of the additional load for charging transportation needs to be addressed.

I fear we are putting all of the eggs in one basket with the rush to electric transportation. It is reported that 5 to 6% of the generated electrical power is lost in the transmission system. While I have no evidence other than the laws of physics, I have to believe that percentage of loss rises dramatically in the distribution system. where in distribution, there are many more places for power loss including; switch gear, transformers, connections, "leakage" to ground.

Electric is cool, I just hope we have our eyes on other even more effective solutions.
    Last edited by hemmjo; Dec 21, 2021 at 03:17 PM.

Thanks

mlochala's Tools
    Imagine if all those people living in the storm ravaged area around Mayfield, KY were having to solely depend on electric vehicles and power tools right now, what a cluster that would be. Something to think about...

Thanks
    Not to mention the fact that they are just butt fugly

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I doubt electric vehicles will be the end all be all transportation for a long time, if ever. They have their place, though. As for environmental footprint, they're no better than any other technology of that magnitude, IMHO. Inherent grid loss is on the decline, what with improvements in the technology. Look for carbon-based, room temperature superconductors to appear in the next fifty years or so, which will cut line losses drastically. Invest in carbon tech if you want to hurry that along and if you're young enough to see it bear fruit (I'm not).

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Does anyone other than me see any similarities
    Johammer J1 electric motorcycle - photos-johammer_j1_motorcycle1_fullsize1zx.jpgJohammer J1 electric motorcycle - photos-ner-car-1924c-beach-scene-usa1xz.jpg
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Floradawg's Tools
    I think most of us used to feel that way about cordless tools. I do see your point however. There are still some tools that are better corded. Like if you have to hammer drill a lot of holes.
    Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The older bikes do look a bit like the J1. They also look a bit like Vespa scooters. Form following function, maybe?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    All of the riders are dressed in black.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information