Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Jointing Sled Fot Thickness Planer Built From Acrylic + Aluminum

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools

Jointing Sled Fot Thickness Planer Built From Acrylic + Aluminum

Please note:

The full build video will follow before Xmas 2020, as this feature demo video got too long on its own.
    ------------------------
    Jointing Sled for the thickness planer was built from 19 mm thick acrylic sheet, reinforced with the pair of the aluminum angles.
    It features 3 rows of the stainless steel threaded inserts (9 mm external 6 mm internal thread), screwed into the matrix of holes. The 6 mm diameter grub / set screws of 12 mm length, are embedded in the threaded inserts, and can adjusted from the underneath of the sled, using the allen key.
    This allows the grub screws support of the cupped or twisted wooden boards, and preventing the arches of such boards from being pushed down by the thickness planer's rollers. Therefore, with the help of my jointing sled, the thickness planer can be used for jointing.
    Myself and many other woodworkers are struggling to joint their lumber stock without the dedicated jointer machine, as it is often exceeding one's financial means.
    I have recently acquired the real jointer machine, but this jointing sled is still very useful, for example it is easier to bring the thickness planer to the client's premises or to the job site, while there is no chance to bring the usually super heavy jointer machine anywhere.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by tiger carpenter; Dec 12, 2020 at 11:03 AM.
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tiger carpenter For This Useful Post:

daxel67 (Dec 16, 2020), Jon (Dec 16, 2020), mtsintra (Dec 25, 2021), uv8452 (Jul 22, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tiger carpenter! We've added your Thickness Planer Jointing Sled to our Sleds category,
    as well as to your builder page: tiger carpenter's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

tiger carpenter (Dec 15, 2020)

Thread Information