These are the short, inverted flare plugs I made using that "broach".
I used a piece of 3/8-24 threaded rod. I faced the parts off in the lathe, drilled a 3/16th's dia. hole about 3/1th's deep and then used a 90 degree C'sink to make the chamfer.
This is the fitting spinning in the lathe.
I then turned it around in the chuck and drilled a .173 dia hole about .25" deep. This is the hole to be "broached". In the pic you can see the starting chamfer I put in with a center drill to guide the broach and help get it started.
A couple of taps from a hammer set it enough I could get it clamped in the vise.
After pressing it home It took a bit of wiggling to get it out of the brass but doing that didn't seem to hurt the fit or operation of the "new" driver.
Continued in next post.
I've made a few of these now with the latest ones on the right.
I got these significantly shorter then my previous attempts and they do the job very well with no clearance issues.
I think they look a ton better then that huge plug hanging down there.
I've used three of these so far on the van build.
Very nice indeed. I was wondering if you concave ground the end of the torx bit to have a cutting edge but I see now that you didn't. if you had done so it might have helped in the broaching process and would have been needed on harder material such as steel. I used to make a lot of male JIC plugs out of 12L14 then broached a hex in them but my broaches were store bought cutters
Never try to tell me it can't be done
When I have to paint I use http://kbs.justoldtrucks.com/
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)