Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen crew untrained in fire safety - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,267 Times in 9,726 Posts

Kitchen crew untrained in fire safety - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

carloski (Nov 29, 2022), EnginePaul (Nov 21, 2021), nova_robotics (Nov 18, 2021)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Looks like the guy poured water on a grease fire. Negligent restaurant owners not teaching what to do in case of fire. These kids wouldn't have a clue what to do. Like cover it. Or baking soda. Cover is the simplest method. No Oxygen, no fire.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jan 10, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Oh yeah let's just pour a container of water on a grease fire that will put it out.
    No you idiot just reduce the heat then use a cookie sheet will smother it.
    Or as a last resort just pull the red extinguishing system lever right above the deep fryer
    Last edited by Frank S; Nov 18, 2021 at 07:48 PM.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Nov 18, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jan 10, 2023)

Supporting Member Fluffle-Valve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Clueless!.
    Training should have been given to these two.
    I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III Truck Cab/Pick-Up and a 1962 Land Rover Series 2a Carawagon Camper.

Thanks
    There are too many employers now days that think "training" is done by osmosis, that and common sense is so rare it should be classified as a super power.
    Given that combination it's a wonder someone didn't die.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by drivermark View Post
    There are too many employers now days that think "training" is done by osmosis, that and common sense is so rare it should be classified as a super power.
    Given that combination it's a wonder someone didn't die.
    Nailed it!

Bill

Supporting Member TheElderBrother's Avatar
    Thanks
    It mystifies me that these things are not taught in school. My father was a fire officer for fifty years, and he saw so many times that the principal contributing factor to a disaster was either stupidity or ignorance that he figured without them he might have been out of a job.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheElderBrother For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Nov 20, 2021)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheElderBrother View Post
    It mystifies me that these things are not taught in school. My father was a fire officer for fifty years, and he saw so many times that the principal contributing factor to a disaster was either stupidity or ignorance that he figured without them he might have been out of a job.
    I grew up in Rural Manitoba Canada. These things were taught. I'm in my 50's so elementary school in the mid nineteen seventies. We were taught this again in the compulsory Home cooking and sewing class in grade seven. Everyone had the basics. But then we could do math in our heads, knew times tables and could weld too. So I think times have changed a little.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Nov 21, 2021)

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    I grew up in Rural Manitoba Canada. These things were taught. I'm in my 50's so elementary school in the mid nineteen seventies. We were taught this again in the compulsory Home cooking and sewing class in grade seven. Everyone had the basics. But then we could do math in our heads, knew times tables and could weld too. So I think times have changed a little.
    Yes, 7th grade "Home Economics" was required here in Indiana too around that time. I learned not only how to sew clothing and use salt or baking soda to put out a stove fire (or "greeze" fire as our teacher called it), that is if you couldn't just drop a lid on top of the pan, and how to make some darn tasty, fluffy biscuits too!

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    Yes, 7th grade "Home Economics" was required here in Indiana too around that time. I learned not only how to sew clothing and use salt or baking soda to put out a stove fire (or "greeze" fire as our teacher called it), that is if you couldn't just drop a lid on top of the pan, and how to make some darn tasty, fluffy biscuits too!
    I'm a decade or so older than you folks, graduated from high school in 1973. Home Economics was only for girls then, and shop classes for guys. Not sure if that was a written rule, or unwritten. OTH, Grandma wasn't having any of that, All the grandchildren learned to do some basic cooking, and sewing of buttons, and darning of socks. I've forgotten how to do that last one, though I remember that you needed a light bulb or something similar. She was a newly-wed during the Great Depression. Though it might also have something to do with my mom not learning any of those things. Our family joke was that she could burn water trying to boil it, and once my brother and I enlisted in the military, that after living with her the chow hall food was great, and the TI's/DI's were easy to get along with.

Bill

Thread Information