Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Knife amnesty box - photo

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,709 Times in 9,873 Posts

Knife amnesty box - photo

Knife amnesty box in London. A place where knife owners may dispose of knives in a safe and legal way.

Previously:

Classroom safety pod - photo

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (Oct 22, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    These are even weirder than guy buybacks, and I haven't seen any evidence that these are successful at reducing violent crime. I thought this bit from a study reviewing knife crime was funny.

It is likely, however, that those people who routinely carry a knife for protection or intend to use a knife in crime will not be safely disposing of their knives in the bins provided at police stations. Moreover, unlike guns, once a knife has been disposed of it merely takes a trip to the kitchen drawer to get another. As long as there is unsliced bread, opportunities for 'knife crime' will exist. Removing offensive weapons is to be welcomed, as is raising awareness of the issue, but it does not address the underlying causes of the problem.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 23, 2022), clavius (Oct 23, 2022), Moby Duck (Oct 23, 2022), nova_robotics (Oct 22, 2022)

Thanks

Sleykin's Tools
    So, you have to pick up your steak in your hands and eat it because you have no knife to cut it with??? From the size of that box, I think they are overly optimistic....

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    IMS, the King's Guard carries rifles with mounted bayonets and the King's Life Guards utilize swords in public ceremonies. Awfully bad example for a population implored to give up their butter knives. Will the Guards be retrofitted with wooden or plastic weapons?

What about tradesmen? Carpenters use many edged tools that could be used to lacerate. Butchers without knives is difficult to visualize. Many police and EMTs here carry knives to extricate people from jammed seat belts due to a crash. Will the Bobbies saw with their truncheons until the heat melts the belt?

What do the English people think of this nonsense?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Oct 23, 2022)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    IMS, the King's Guard carries rifles with mounted bayonets and the King's Life Guards utilize swords in public ceremonies.

What do the English people think of this nonsense?
    Knife amnesty box - photo-52219564687_b61015dcb8_c.jpg Indeed they do carry rifles with bayonets, several cut themselves during parade training with them, my youngest is in the photo and thankfully didn't cut himself.

As to the nonsense, attending the parade we were arch scanned and had bags etc checked for knives, guns etc, one copper even questioned my rescue shears in my belt pack emergency aid kit until a supervisor told him they were fine as not pointed. The bulk of knife 'crime' in Londonistan is not by 'English' (White British) people, but by 2nd/3rd generation immigrants and more recent migrants, it's gotten to the stage where only 'white' criminals are ever described in initial public Police crime reports/information requests. Though it must be said young white boys living in high immigrant/migrant areas have started to arm themselves with knives, usually in response to the number of times they've been threatened with knives, so the problem is a growing one. This covers much of the problem

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Oct 24, 2022)

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    That makes sense. Mass media may avoid covering it, but both the US and the UK record crime data by ethnicity or race. This site here looks credible for UK data: https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures....arrests/latest . In the US people look at FBI table 43: https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43 .

Asians in the US have a very low crime rate by race (I think these are mostly technically East Asians, but they're categorized as "Asians"). Their violent crime rates are especially low, although their arrests trend higher for gambling and prostitution. The only East Asian breakdown I'm seeing in that UK data is Chinese people, who have the lowest arrest rate by ethnicity. Western European nations that are seeing "immigrant" crime spikes could just alter their immigration source so that they're importing more immigrants from low-crime countries. Unfortunately people are less inclined to leave those countries.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    The FBI tables are simple number counts IIRC, which hides the huge differences between ethnicities rates of offending, I wish I could remember who did the analysis and link it, but it's a stunning rate of offending when considered against the actual percentage of the overall population. If we take the raw data from https://statisticalatlas.com/United-...-and-Ethnicity and compare the numbers against the percentage of people overall, then consider the likely offender's age it's horrendous.

The UK data on total arrests without further breakdown is just as misleading.

None of this is good for the wider society, nor the groups involved, for clarity I'm mixed race of White English/Afro-Caribbean heritage, with Scandinavian blood and a fair bit of Irish too in the mix.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Yes, and the data narrows even further when you consider that commission of violent crimes tilts heavily toward young urban males. The latest NYC crime report is a rich data set, and holds no punches: https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...ent-report.pdf

We have a few good indicators of why disparities in race and crime may occur, across genetics (MAO-A gene), social science (fatherlessness), and even demographic distribution in cities (racially homogeneous and culturally impenetrable high-crime subsections of large urban areas). Society has decreed that it's taboo to study it, and our punishment for that is more violence and blame-shifting. The irony is that we truly are a diverse people, with different races, ethnicities, and genders offering various pluses and minuses. We won't earn the right to enjoy the good points and address the bad points if we can't discuss them openly.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Just push the red button
    Knife amnesty box - photo-reset-life-earth.jpg
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

NeiljohnUK (Oct 26, 2022)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    We have a few good indicators of why disparities in race and crime may occur, across genetics (MAO-A gene), social science (fatherlessness), and even demographic distribution in cities (racially homogeneous and culturally impenetrable high-crime subsections of large urban areas). Society has decreed that it's taboo to study it, and our punishment for that is more violence and blame-shifting. The irony is that we truly are a diverse people, with different races, ethnicities, and genders offering various pluses and minuses. We won't earn the right to enjoy the good points and address the bad points if we can't discuss them openly.
    The ideological capture of the 'Academe' is all but complete, so now not even Academics, with their much vaunted 'Academic Freedom' can discuss or research these things. The latest DIE cast is the DoE's DEI requirements for ALL sponsored research https://science.osti.gov/grants/Appl...ces/PIER-Plans

Thread Information