Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Knuckle couplers engaging - GIFs

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,709 Times in 9,873 Posts

Knuckle couplers engaging - GIFs

Knuckle couplers engaging.

Previously:

Janney semi-automatic railway coupler - GIF and patent
    Train rerailer - GIF
    Railroad track shifter - GIF and photos
    Putting a derailed train back on the rails - GIF and video
    Moving a train manually - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

johncg (Apr 13, 2021), nova_robotics (Apr 17, 2021), Rangi (Apr 13, 2021), Scotsman Hosie (Apr 21, 2021)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Train hardware has fascinated me since I was a kid (lifelong foamer here), but what really baked my noodle was the realization that these chunks of steel small enough that a single person could carry are strong enough to pull over a hundred 30+ ton cars and the thousands of tons of cargo each car holds for thousands of miles. It's one of those things that I understand, yet still blows my mind.

Neil

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sossol For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 21, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    Train hardware has fascinated me since I was a kid (lifelong foamer here), but what really baked my noodle was the realization that these chunks of steel small enough that a single person could carry are strong enough to pull over a hundred 30+ ton cars and the thousands of tons of cargo each car holds for thousands of miles. It's one of those things that I understand, yet still blows my mind.

Neil
    A similar fascination for me is watching a stationary steam locomotive begin to pull a long train of cars.

My mind knows the locomotive is very heavy and that means that the pressure of its wheels in the line contact with the track is huge which increases the friction. However, the fact that it is so huge that the loco can get the towed cars moving without the loco wheels spinning is hard to accept.

I know that sometimes they do slip and locos have sanders but, still, it's hard to accept that it can work.

In a similar vein, I know that steam engines produce maximum force at zero rpm, but the fact that they can produce enough force to get a train of many, many tons moving from a dead stop is hard to accept.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Apr 21, 2021)

Thanks

sossol's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    A similar fascination for me is watching a stationary steam locomotive begin to pull a long train of cars.

My mind knows the locomotive is very heavy and that means that the pressure of its wheels in the line contact with the track is huge which increases the friction. However, the fact that it is so huge that the loco can get the towed cars moving without the loco wheels spinning is hard to accept.

I know that sometimes they do slip and locos have sanders but, still, it's hard to accept that it can work.

In a similar vein, I know that steam engines produce maximum force at zero rpm, but the fact that they can produce enough force to get a train of many, many tons moving from a dead stop is hard to accept.
    Another mind-melter is that the contact patch of the wheels is a small fraction of an inch (I’ve seen various figures, down to all wheels combined having it the surface area of a dime).

Neil

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information