Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Knurling tool modification

Supporting Member winkys workshop's Avatar
    Thanks

winkys workshop's Tools

Knurling tool modification

Link to tool: https://amzn.to/35tnHJR

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to winkys workshop For This Useful Post:

asterix (Jan 10, 2021), Dimsa (Jan 5, 2021), Jon (Jan 6, 2021), Paul Jones (Jan 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    I like the modification. I do most of my knurling in stainless steel rods using three passes with increasing knurling tool pressure per pass. I usually start with one pass toward the headstock, stop the rotation and reverse the carriage to go back towards the tailstock, and then a final pass towards the headstock with slightly more knurling pressure without disengaging to carriage feed. I use lubricating oil and not cutting oil. If I discover on the final pass the knurl depth is not deep as required it is easy to reengage the knurl pattern by slowly tightening the scissor-type knurling tool on the knurl pattern and running another pass. It is easier to take a little longer when during the knurling than trying to do it in one pass.

There are different opinions on using the correct diameter of the bar stock before starting the knurling operation but I prefer reducing the bar stock for an optimum knurl pattern. I used to use a formula for the optimum diameter but as they say there is an app on your phone for this. I use the free phone app "Knurling Calculator". It only works for Imperial dimensions but very easy to use. The drop-down menu is for 12 to 80 TPI knurls. Next the blank diameter is specified in inches and calculator provides the starting diameter. I usually add 0.002" to the final calculated diameter. I achieve perfect and sharp knurls every time.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

winkys workshop's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by winkys workshop View Post
    Cool info, I have best luck with one heavy pass but then again I don;t worry about diameter. With a close to correct diameter I'm sure you method works great. I've never tried to knurl stainless.

Man they have apps for everything! I'll check it out. Thanks

5. The Following User Says Thank You to winkys workshop For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    I like the modification. I do most of my knurling in stainless steel rods using three passes with increasing knurling tool pressure per pass. I usually start with one pass toward the headstock, stop the rotation and reverse the carriage to go back towards the tailstock, and then a final pass towards the headstock with slightly more knurling pressure without disengaging to carriage feed. I use lubricating oil and not cutting oil. If I discover on the final pass the knurl depth is not deep as required it is easy to reengage the knurl pattern by slowly tightening the scissor-type knurling tool on the knurl pattern and running another pass. It is easier to take a little longer when during the knurling than trying to do it in one pass.

There are different opinions on using the correct diameter of the bar stock before starting the knurling operation but I prefer reducing the bar stock for an optimum knurl pattern. I used to use a formula for the optimum diameter but as they say there is an app on your phone for this. I use the free phone app "Knurling Calculator". It only works for Imperial dimensions but very easy to use. The drop-down menu is for 12 to 80 TPI knurls. Next the blank diameter is specified in inches and calculator provides the starting diameter. I usually add 0.002" to the final calculated diameter. I achieve perfect and sharp knurls every time.
    For the folks like me who won't own one of those smart phone timesuckers*, there's a program to compute perfect knurling diameter on my page as well as one from Little Machine Shop on the interweb...

https://littlemachineshop.com/reference/knurler.php

The basic mathematics is simple...

Compute the circular pitch of the knurl wheel... p = wheel diameter / number of teeth

Compute the integer number of p's in the stock of diameter D... N = int[ pi*D/p ] where the "int" operator denotes truncation to an integer

Then the desired knurling diameter is given by N*p / pi.

---
    * Yeah, that's right, I'm retired and gloat on the fact that I can get along just fine without one.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    For larger diameters many folks, if they initially get a doubled knurl, just keep pushing the tool deeper until it reaches a diameter where correct diamonds form. This leaves a botched section at the start of the knurl which demands removal.

For smaller diameters this bullish approach doesn't work as well, especially if a push knurler is in use.

I've had a number of bad knurls forming without using the correct diameter; I've never had that happen when using the computed correct diameter.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 7, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Marv,

Very good reply. The tried and true knurling formula is a the way to go for imperial and metric knurls but using a "canned" app is so much easier.

I have recovered the "botched section at the start or end of the knurl" by practicing the method to systematically reengaging the knurling tool until the knurl rollers start to roll, sync and then increase the knurl tool pressure for yet another knurl pass. I have saved a lot of stock trying this technique.

Paul

Thanks

winkys workshop's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jones View Post
    Marv,

Very good reply. The tried and true knurling formula is a the way to go for imperial and metric knurls but using a "canned" app is so much easier.

I have recovered the "botched section at the start or end of the knurl" by practicing the method to systematically reengaging the knurling tool until the knurl rollers start to roll, sync and then increase the knurl tool pressure for yet another knurl pass. I have saved a lot of stock trying this technique.

Paul
    I don't knurl very often but it certainly is a process that requires practice.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks winkys workshop! We've added your Knurling Tool Lathe Mount to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: winkys workshop's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information