Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

Lantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components

Hi All
    I would firstly like to thank JR for posting his lantern chuck as this gave me lots to consider when designing and making my take on a lantern chuck.
    I made this as I have some 60 plus copper rivets that need threading 2BA for a 3” scale Foden steam wagon copper boiler, I am currently making (well for the last 10 years)
    As you can appreciate this could be a very time-consuming exercise, so I needed a chuck I could load and unload quickly. This is my take on a lantern chuck with quick release clamping, the photos show part of the build, to final fitting to the lathe. I have also included a video. (I am no Spielberg as you will see) From the video you will also see with a bit of practice I should be able to complete the batch quite quickly.
    The aluminium handle fitted to the unit was purchased with the money I kindly received from Homemadetools.net for my claw clamp tool of the week.

Lantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0466.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0467.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0468.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0469.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0470.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0471.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0472.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0474.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0483.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0485.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0486.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0492.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0493.jpgLantern chuck with quick release clamping to aid loading / unloading components-img_0494.jpg

Thank you again to JR and to all who view
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

BrianW (Apr 16, 2020), Christophe Mineau (Jan 26, 2018), emu roo (Nov 24, 2022), Frank S (Jan 24, 2018), hobbymax (Apr 14, 2024), HobieDave (Apr 8, 2020), HUMARIA (Apr 16, 2020), jjr2001 (Jan 24, 2018), johncg (Nov 25, 2022), Jon (Jan 23, 2018), mklotz (Jan 24, 2018), mr mikey (Apr 14, 2024), NortonDommi (Jan 26, 2018), olderdan (Jan 24, 2018), old_toolmaker (Feb 10, 2018), Paul Jones (Jan 23, 2018), Philip Davies (Apr 18, 2020), phred (Feb 7, 2023), PJs (Jan 28, 2018), racene (Jul 18, 2020), Ralphxyz (Apr 14, 2024), rossbotics (Jan 24, 2018), Seedtick (Jan 24, 2018), Sleykin (Apr 17, 2020), that_other_guy (Apr 21, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Jan 24, 2018), yves78 (Jun 14, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Very nicely done The spring loaded quick release is a great feature

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 23, 2018), thehomeengineer (Jan 24, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Very well done,
    the quick release will come in handy for threading all those rivets
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 24, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 553 Posts

jjr2001's Tools
    Very nice. Your quick release brings your lantern tool into the Super Lantern Chuck category.
    Well done improvement on a tool that has been around for a long time. I really like the use of the
    collet closer to lock it down. Great tool.

Cheers, JR

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jjr2001 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Thank you JR for your post and kind words. It was seeing your post that got me thinking. I was going to bore some soft jaws but this is a far better solution. This will also be far more useful for other small screws etc. in the future.
    The Home Engineer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

jjr2001 (Jan 24, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Very clever indeed.

It took me a few minutes to puzzle out the mechanism. Your post would be very much improved by the addition of a written description of how the half-thread button works. It's not a commonly seen device and many folks will be as puzzled as I was initially.

Minor complaint aside, it's still a real improvement. While I don't use mine for as many pieces as you do, I still find the loading and unloading tedious. Improvements such as yours that make the tool easier to use ensure that it, rather than some crude bodge, will be used.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 25, 2018), thehomeengineer (Jan 24, 2018)

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    I need to know more about your die holder.

I like the Lantern chuck with quick release.

Ralph

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ralphxyz For This Useful Post:

that_other_guy (Apr 21, 2020), thehomeengineer (Jan 24, 2018)

Thanks
    I have been a fan of these devises for years and your idea brought my idea closer and I'll share it and maybe simplify the design for others.

I was looking to use the bar threaded in from the left of the spindle and the main body just like your. The lantern is a separate part that works similar to a V block clamp with the head like the lantern to hold all the buttons to hold different sizes of bolts. If the lantern part slides in a slot and a quarter turn to lock into the working position. The threaded rod would not need any quick release just enough of a turn to apply the pressure need to hold it. Then loosen the threaded rod turn the lantern and then pull the finished piece and insert new blank and repeat until finished.

Maybe someone can run with the ideas, I've tooo many on my short list. If I could get to the end of my long list I would be at least 150 years old.

Nelson

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ncollar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Ralph
    Thank you for your interest.
    The item in question is a Coventry die head. These are similar to a die but made with 4 individual cutters known as Coventry die chasers. I will add a post on the die head if you would like to explain it in more detail.
    The Home Engineer

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Apr 17, 2020), that_other_guy (Apr 21, 2020)

Thanks

thehomeengineer's Tools
    Hi Nelson
    Thank you for your interest.
    I know what you mean about to many projects. I am currently designing a retractable internal threading tool holder, I plan to build a bead roller, (drawings almost complete) and have started collecting all bits required, a ring roller (which I have started). Toe jack. Wheel lift system to move machines around the shop (drawings finished material cut) as well as my 3” Foden steam wagon, and I have two other models ready for painting. I would like to build a stone crusher don’t need one, just like the idea and build out of interest. I am so far behind on my projects I don’t think I have time to die.
    The Home Engineer

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jan 25, 2018)

Thread Information